Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Grime

dogvet

Why is this time of year so depressing when you jack up the car to take a look at the working bits and find those liitle bits of corrosion? Pits in the powder coat where the debris has flown up from the back wheels, if "never used in the wet" were true we would rarely use the car in the UK!

If there are "pits" in the coating, I do not believe that a carcoon can prevent formation of rust. To me the pits metal must absolutely be passivated ( by phosphatation) at minimum, before a coat of black satin paint is applied. I did that and sprayed pure (no addition of solvent) waxoyl. Seems to be really efficient and not bad looking at all.

Pierre

Last year at about this time I was horrified to note that alot of the powder coating had peeled from the underside rear chassis members of my car. I quickly rubbed it down and coated it with hammerite paint. I've read posts of cars requiring chassis rebuilds/replacements and although mine is probably way off being in that position, what age is this usually required on this type of car, assuming no accident damage.

My garage is old, cold and damp so I keep my seven in a Carcoon during the winter months and it certainly works. Prior to that I could almost see bits going red & furry before my eyes. They are a bit of a fag to use but it's worth it (5 mins to get on or off). Also helps brake discs, clutches etc perform as intended without 'grabbing'. Others claim electrics don't misbehave coz of the damp either. It's difficult to understand how or why they work (forced ventilation) when my garage is very drafty and has all the forced ventilation you could want but seeing is believing.