Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Re-build costs

nickh7

If I can secure another job soon I might be able to afford to rebuild the 7. Its a 97 1.6k SS. The powder coating was poor from the word go so I have ali corrosion on the side skins and at the back under the arches.

I know a refreshed chassis / reskin is £3k , painting (I'll get it done locally and will set me back about £800 . I have two new front wings so I can get those painted at the same time. 

Dampers need a rebuild too but the wishbones are all good as i only went widetrack a few years back , dedion is the same

I have an 1800 block that I'd like to install and have the engine refreshed at the same time .  What am I looking at for that ?

Diff is noisy and an LSD would be nice so whilst its out what am I looking at for a recon unit ?

Gearbox is a type 9 but I'd also like the long first and the updated oilways , any idea how much ?

The big thing that I am worried about is the all the bits that Caterham did for you when you order a kit.  No1 for me is the all drilling and cutting , I am not very good with a tape measure and really struggled when fitting the rewar wings/ boot cover / toneau can arch fit the rivnuts for the rear wings,  holes for bonnet catches poppers etc ?  I dont want to go the expense of the rebuild than cock it all up drilling holes

Thanks for your input

Arch will drill/ cut holes if you ask. They can use the original skins as templates.

Dampers - to my mind refurbishing 20 year old Billies is not worth the cost compared with new. You could also fit something like Nitrons depending on budget.

you could strip and rebush Dedion, wish bones, new brake lines, reconditioned brake master cylinder. 

dont forget I don't think Arch will do brake lines, fuel lines, instruments, wiring etc, do there will be quite a bit of fit out on the tub before you get it back to the level that Caterham will supply it.  

I'll be watching this thread with interest, as you more or less just repeated my wish list. 

I'm just in the throws of doing mine, give me another 6 weeks and I'll enlighten you to what it's cost. 

Mine is a 1995 chassis and needed a fair bit of work done by arch to make it sound again! It will be a new car once complete.

Drop me a PM with your email address.

Tim

I refreshed my Type 9 a few years ago now, including a long first gear, and shorter 5th, lube mod to 2nd gear, and stronger synchro for 3rd and 4th, all new bearings etc. Was about £500 + fitting. The ratios worked well for the XFlow at the time, but not as good when I swapped to K power. I now run a CC 6 speed.

Hi Les

Ive got a standard type 9 so anything that helps drop them closer together would be better .

I'd love a 6 speed but think I'd need to go to a 3:6 diff as well.  I am trying to keep cost down other wise 6 speed and new diff would be top of the list.

• 3 weeks later...

I too am in a remarkably similar situation with a '98 1.6 transport, and personal circumstance - i'd be grateful to benefit from your experience on costs.

As an extra mine was a cat' D write off in its v early days so if I am going to spend considerable funds on the chassis and body I'd like to rid myself of that badge. Does anyone know if that's possible?

B