Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

XFlow steering column bearings

Terry Field

The current thread on removable steering wheels prompts me to ask about something which has been annoying me for a while

There is a rattle or knocking which appears to be coming from the steering column as it passes through the bulkhead, and is vibration induced. All the steering column joints are tight, so could it be a bearing problem?

I am not familiar with the mechanics of the column/bearings. Is this a common problem and can it be easily fixed. The S/W is the non removable type.

Terry

Trying to get out of the garage

Hi Terry,

On my 1990 chassis there is a small nylon (and rubber ?) bush at the top of the tube where the upper column comes through the dash.

This costs pennies from Caterham and could be the issue. Easy to get in and difficult to get out again without damage - you might want to order a spare if CC are posting them

Hope this helps

G'day Terry, the knocking you talk of sounds similar to that which I had on my car, X-flow engined, 1982 spec, this turned out to be the high capacity, high flow oil pump striking the steering column shaft, some deft work with a file to the outer cover of the pump fixed this, if you've got one of these oil pumps it maybe worth a look, regards Nigel, in Noo Zillund.

1982. 5 speed, clamshells. B.R.G / Ali. The True Colours.

As Nigel says, this is a common complaint with crossflow cars (probably means yours isn't a crossflow !) . I usually get it every year after my winter rebuild and end up moving the engine upwards or downwards slightly with washers under the engine mounting because I forget to put them back in nearly every year