Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fitting quick release SW

chrisb

Hi,

Just been tinkering with a few things, and though I might look at fitting a qick release steering wheel. So set about getting the steering column out, but as usual got stuck!!

I removed the steering lock etc, and undid the jointing connection in behind the pedal box.

At this point I thought it would slide out, but it moved about 2 inches, before something started to catch. So.......

Does the column pull out towards the driver, and if so what haven't I done, or does it go the other way. (Not enough time to take out the rest to find out last night) *confused*

Cheers

• Area Representative

Chris,

The steering lock boss on the column catches on the column top bush. You need to remove the top bush. It is locked in place by rubber lugs that pop into holes in the mounting. These lugs may shear off as you extract the column.

Make sure you have the keys in the ignition and then turned to disengage the steering lock.

Keep the wheel attached and pull on it very hard (a number of times). This will use the raised section of the steering column (that is part of the steering lock) as a drift to remove the upper column bush.

You should then be able to pull the old column out. I replaced both column bearing/bushes but be careful when you put the new column in as not to damage or catch the nylon bearing surface of the bush.

The thing you must do is make sure the column is torqued up properly where it meets the lower column. It is then a case of messing about with the lower column/universal joint to get the steering wheel straight when the wheels are straight (if you see what I mean)

Hope this helps

Alex B

S713UMY

1.8K Viper Blue and Black

• Leadership Team

Following on from Alex's comments - when you fit the new boss to the steering wheel, position the one wide spline, centre at the top of the wheel - this will make life MUCH easier in the future. the upper column connects to the lower column in only one orientation, but the splined connection where the column meets the rack, can be repositioned to get the wheel the correct way up. Minor tweeking is done at te track-rod ends.

BTW, the steering lock is a sleeve on the old column. Grind the welds to remove the sleeve, and refit to the new column either by welding or using roll pins (easier) to retain a steering lock.

Stu.