Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Total newbie needs help

Go4it1011

Hi all

Just got my first 7 (at long last!) and need some advice on fitting a quick release steering wheel, as it's proving difficult for me to get in - and even more difficult to get out with the present wheel attached.

I looked on the Caterham website and I see that if you buy one from them theirs comes with an upper steering column as well as the quick release unit but as with most things it seems on their site it says they are out of stock.

Been looking on Demon Tweeks at alternatives such as Motorcorsa and Lifeline and want some advice which is the best to go with and will they fit onto my existing steering column???

Looking forward to any help and advice I can get.

Thanks Den

I had a splined QR unit and it developed free play eventually. Replaced it with a fabulous Rapfix QR ..... lively engineering and no splines. You can buy it with upper column already welded to it. Easy to fit. Can buy it loose, but need to get your cut off and new one welded to your upper column. Easier to buy ready fitted. I think Meteor Motorsport stock them. Just do a search for Rapfix.

Do you have to send Rapfix your existing upper steering column for them to weld the release to?

My local garage (not Caterham savvy) told me that any welding on a steering column was an MOT fail.

I was hoping I could bolt something to my existing steering column  (threaded top end)

Cheers

Den

• Area Representative

Welcome Den.

What type/size of steering wheel do you have and how many bolts attach it to the column? You may find swapping to a smaller diameter wheel solves your problem without having to go quick release. 

Another thumbs up for Rapfix - bought the top section of the steering column with the male part of the quick release already welded to the column. It is then a simple swap for the top section of the existing column. Had mine for 5 years now and no sign of any movement of steering wheel on the shaft boss. Tried to find my original invoice to see who I got it from but failed in theat regard - good luck. Garth

• Area Representative

Den

290mm is quite a big wheel. Most prefer a smaller 260mm or similar. The smaller wheels have 3 bolts attaching them. If you simply want to change to a smaller fixed wheel you will need one of these (and the wheel of course). You may also need to re wire your horn to a button on the dash as I suspect your existing wheel may have a horn push in the middle. 

If you do want a quick release wheel then you will need a quick release fitting and suitable upper column. Those suitable for a 7 are drilled for 3 bolt attachment, but it is possible to use your existing wheel if you purchase (or make) an adaptor plate, but I think you will want a 3 bolt small wheel

As for quick release attachments, there are many, but only a few suitable for a 7, as some are too bulky and also push the steering wheel much closer to the driver. Those fitted by Caterham are Racetech or Lifeline similar to this, but as has already been mentioned, these tend to wear after a while and become sloppy. The Rapfix is highly recommended and doesen't seem to wear, is very easy to attach, but is more expensive.

If I were buying again I would opt for the Rapfix, although it too pushes the steering wheel a little closer to the driver, but only an inch or so. 

Hope this makes sense to you.

Good luck.