Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Seized Rear Calipers

Ian.Yeoman

Ian just noticed that your car is a 2001, no way they've seized in that space of time. As TF says you must use a special wind back tool on the piston that actually twists the piston back in, if you try to simply push them straight back as you would with front calipers you'll K-nack them.... Phil

I helped Ian with his brakes and I'm still mystified *confused*. The history is that Ian last used the car before christmas and is now upgrading it with a rear ant-roll bar. The problem with the rear brakes is that they are stuck on, and I don't mean just dragging a bit. It took over 200 ftlb to turn the rear hubs! The handbrake mechanism was off and there was no residual hydraulic pressure. The only sign of something untoward is that the dust seals are chewed up and split. Could it be that the very cold weather has shrunk the calipers?

*cool* 99,000 miles so far

Has he had the car from new?

Prehaps some monkey with water pump pliers has tried winding in the Pistons previously and buggered up the seals?

R.E the tool if your too tight to shell out the £30 like I was you can easily knock one up out of 4mm ish Ali or steel plate, make it like a T, with the bottom of the T as wide as the piston and shaped to fit the funny profile of the piston crown. Best to wear gloves, grab the removed caliper, engage the key you have made, 1/2 turn back then clockwise in while pushing like hell. Easy peasy. Oh and slacken the handbrake off lots too.

HTH but it probably didnt

Steve

See My Zetec Power 7 Here