Click here if you are having website access problems ×

DIY Foam Seat - we made one and here's how...

SvenDriver

"You may need a grown up to help you".

I used a plastic seat base from Oxted and about 1Kg of foam mix.

You will need:

1. Foam mix

2. A seat base (unused)

3. Plastic gloves

4. A very large polly bag (I used a cheap survival bag from millets)

5. A container to mix stuff in

6. Two disposable plastic beakers to measure liquid

7. A disposable whisk.

This foam sticks to EVERYTHING that it touches including you, the bag the garage etc. so all the kit you use to mix the foam should be treated as disposable.

How:

1. Place the seat base INSIDE the bag and fit the whole lot in the car.

2. Mix up maybe 1pt of foam mix (1/2pt of each part)

3. Pour into seat base

4. Wait for it to foam for a bit

5. Sit on the bag (it is quite warm) and wiggle pedals occaisonally

6. Wait for the foam to set

7. Repeat until happy.

I did this with three lots of mix of various sizes. In the first couple of mixes the foam built up the front of the hump and the sidewalls but left no foam to sit on.

In order to have something to sit on I mixed up a third mix of foam and poured it into the seat base and waited a while until it was nice and foamy before sitting in it a little. This gave me a bit of foam under my arse.

The seat has put me into a much flatter position in the car with lots more steering wheel clearance plus maybe 1 extra cm of headroom (haven't measured exactly).

I think the seat base is almost flat onto the car panelling so doesn't waste any height. The foam seems to bond very well to the seat base.

For the first two foam mixes I had the seat in a double bag - a single bin bag around the seat base inside the giant survival bag - just to encourage foam flow a little.

The end result is shown in pictures:

here

here

here

here

here

All I need to do now is coat the seat (Duck tape I think for now) and take the car for a drive.

Edited by - SvenDriver on 30 Jan 2003 17:12:57

It doesn't need to be pretty. It just needs to hold my arse. I left it unsmoothed and untrimmed. It looks nicer with its covering.

I'm not going for any awards....

OBTW - The foam under aforementioned arse is about 2cm - far too thick - so I sense a MkII comming.

Its a lot better than my attempts which were truly disastrous and ended up in the bin. I will try again some time, but with a suitably qualified assistant rather than a reluctant wife whose interest in giving practical help was minimal but found it highly amusing when the bin bag split and sent foam spewing out all over me.

Jonathan

Took seat for a trip around the block. Result was that I needed to contour it a bit with a sharp bendy kitchen knife.

Once the seat was carved a bit for more comfort it made the car feel a lot different. Arse stays totally in place and I can feel the car moving around beneath me very nicely thank you. Pilots on damp roads are now so much more predictable.

Second 'round the block' drive ended up being 80 miles 😬 😬 😬. Nuf said.