Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Purging Brake Fluid

bstark

Before trying to upgrade calipers etc. I want to try some decent pads (Mintex M1144, based on an archive search) and some AP600 fluid (also from archives).

I have already ordered the pads so Please don't tell me I've made a mistake etc. - what I need to know is if, as I understand, I need to completely purge the old fluid before putting in AP600, what is the best method / order to do this?

Also, how much fluid do you reckon I'll need for a complete purge and re-fill?

My car is a standard '92 X-flow so it has the std Triumph discs and calipers at the front, and an Ital axle + brakes at the back.

Bob Stark

Supersprinter

Bob,

If you do not wish to dissassemble and clean the cyliner and calipers, best option is to bleed meths through the entire system.

AP600 does have a tendency to react with any trace of ordinary fluids....

When bleeding, you will need to remove the calipers and turn them so the bleed nipple is at the lowest point to ensure every cavity which could contain the original fluid gets emptied.

Fitt the system with meths, giv everything a good shake and repeat the process (on a fresh charge of meths each time) about 3 times.

Then drain, loosen all the nipples and remove the master cyl filler cap. Lave it for a day or so so all the meths evaporates.

Then you can refill with AP600. Its excellent stuff, andthe 3 month change interval is a gross limitaion of product liability onm AP's part.

It is more hydroscoptic than regular DOT4, but you can use it for a season without changing it. Man at AP told me this off the record. Do ensure its changed every 12 moths though, without fail!

Arnie Webb

The Fat Bloke *mad* back @ 512k

Paul,

The Meths advice came from AP!!

I was removing silicone fluid at the time - huge reaction when the silcon and AP600 mixed!!!!

Its not a drinking habit..... honest!

Arnie Webb

The Fat Bloke *mad* back @ 512k

Edited by - fast arnie on 31 Jan 2003 21:59:46