Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Welding stainless exhaust

r300chris

My K series R300 exhaust has cracked at the 4 into 1 connection to the cat, there are small brackets welded to 2 of the pipes and then bolted to brackets on the cat! The brackets have failed on the cat side! Can anyone suggest good welding company near Medway in Kent ?

also I only have a support at the rear of the silencer and wondered if a centre support should be fitted ?

Chris

Powerspeed in Ashford welded mine when the inlet pipe pulled out of the front of the silencer. They are not far from you. When they later made me a new silencer with 4-2-1 collector and cat inside silencer, they opened up and used the front mount in the chassis. Without it, there is so much load on the centre of the exhaust, as it is unsupported between head and rear bobbin. Those little ears and bolts are hopeless .... used to bend and shear regularly. No fixings at all on mine since using the centre mount. Ian

Thanks for the post gary and Ian, in fact it was Gary who pointed out the failure on mine at the cafe two weekends ago, I found that both brackets had failed. i will give both companies a call, I've taken off the exhaust so probably do a quick repair first, but I agree with Ian's point re centre mounting point, so will look into that fix as well

regards Chris 

Hi Ian sorry for slow reply, been moving my son into new flat last few days.

i didn't get them to polish it, didn't think to ask, anyway it's some else for me to do. Hope you had good day in carrot land, I was hoping to go but kids take preference, maybe next year.

Chris