Click here if you are having website access problems ×

what is this component?

David aka Blue7

I have a Tracker fitted to my 7 and I need to remove it and fit it to a new 7.  It is a stand alone battery powered tracker fitted at the CC factory and seems to be a black plastic covered unit about 6" long x 3" wide x 1" deep with 2 wires protruding.  One wire just hangs loose and I assume it is an aerial.  The other wire is attached to one of two retaining bolts that secure a metal box shaped component to the bulkhead between the wiper motor and the fuse box cover under the dash on the passenger side.  The second wire is therefore merely acting as an earthing wire.

I don't think this metal box component is part of the Tracker because it seems to be wired into the loom.  There is a photo of the component here:

http://www.kemnay.info/what-is-this-component/

Does anyone know what this component is and can confirm that it is a Caterham component so that I can rule it out as being part of the Tracker system?

Looking at the CC online store, it looks a bit like the Toad Security unit?

Jonathan

See new photo below original at the same link.  It looks likke a sealed unit to me so can't remove the top and the wiring is at the top of the unit so can't see any colours

Bob

I am inclined to agree it does look a bit like a Toad immobiliser unit

Does anyone have one fitted to their 7, if you do I think I can safely rule it out as being part of the Tracker unit.