Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Weber dcoe

Peter Mears

I have decided to splash out on a raceline repacable exhaust for my silvertop zetec and after a chat with the guys they are going to supply me with some smaller chokes for the 45s along with some different jets to fit. Hopefully this should reduce noise and help with the general smoothness during the progression part of the fueling.

So how do I change the chokes ? Is it a matter of whipping off the trumpets and they just pull out?

There have been variations in DCOE construction, but it is likely that the following will be correct:-

For each barrel, remove the two nuts and washers that hold in the ram pipe. Remove the ram pipe and any air filter backplate that is attached to the front face of the carburettor.

Underneath the barrel, you will find two screws that locate and hold in the Aux Vent and the Choke. These screws are loosely joined together on a steel strip that has a loctab at each end, one for each screw. Remove these screws or at the very least loosen them to the extent that they are almost completely undone.

You now need to undo the locnut on the air bypass screw and remove the screw. This is located on the top side of the carburettor and should be under a white plastic cap.

It should now be possible to reach inside the barrel and pull the aux vent out. Once this is out you can also pull out the choke.

Note that older carburettors do not have the air bypass screws so that step can be ignored. It is also possible that things have become distorted over the years and the parts won't come out with finger power. In this case you will need to use some sort of puller.

Thanks Roger, had a look today and can see the locknut and screws to which you refer. These carbs are only a year old so hopefully will not be any trouble.

Very much looking forward to sorting this as I have been running with a very loud and booming vauxhall race can for a while that was put on in a rush after the smaller diameter one failed. The car was never really set up correctly after I went over to the 45s. Raceline seem to have the specs for taking the chokes down from 40 and to rejet for best driveability.

Mr August,keeping it oldskool :)