Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Diff to Propshaft bolts - Ford Live axle

philwaters

I got my modified propshaft back last night and, yipee, it fits the new axle. Phew *wink*

However, the clearance for the bolts is very small, a result of using the Ford Anglia flange I guess, and the M8 cap head bolts I was going to use wouldn't fit into place.

So, what type of bolts are people using and which way round are they fitting them? (is the head on the diff or propshaft side?)

Phil Waters

You mean you can drive these?

I thought it was just there to polish 😬

Thanks Barry,

Can you remember if you fitted washers? If so, where. I do think a standard M8 washer will fit on the diff side without grinding a flat on it to clear the diameter change.

Also, are you using standard nyloc's on the diff side - do they clear the diff casing ok?

Phil Waters

Phil,

I upgraded to ford axle last year and yes the nuts are a tight fit. The bolt heads are propshaft side I use nyloc nuts and no washers. I did try to relieve a bit of metal on the propshaft flange but the base of the nuts still catch. Just need to make sure thet are done up tight and not getting a false indication. I have done 2 trackdays and 2 sprints no problems!!

Tony

Phil,

I've just checked what I had done.

Nylocs with no washers, bolt heads propshaft side.

Interestingly the Caterham build manual for the Ital excludes washers as well even though there is sufficient space on the Ital.

Barry

Hi, to complete the story...

I finished fitting the prop Friday evening. I used M8 x 25mm cap head boles with washers under the heads and then a Nyloc. The head of the bolt is on the Prop side. What a pain they are to tighten - I hope I don't have to remove any time soon!

Thanks again for the help. Brakes lines are now also fitted, fuel tank, book floor, FIA bar and boot cover are all back on the car... *smile*

Phil Waters

Thanks Brent,

The square front wheel plan is coming along nicely. Leave 032's on anything other than a perfectly flat surface and they take on a new profile. This I am goingto use to shape them to a more useful shape - easy to stack square wheels *smile*

The 'other' change is coming along, waiting on certain metal work at the moment. Warmer weather wouldn't go amiss either *tongue*. I'll drop you a mail regarding the hole cutter.... I found the indicators in one of the many boxes I cleared yesterday... looking line a garage again!

Nic to have the car rolling again though.

Phil Waters