Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Broken down in France

Jason E

2005 1600 k series Think my battery has died, but help needed in diagnosis, been driving all day to middle of France, stopped at hyper market got in car and turned on master key digital dash flickered relay was clicking,its not the k click as I have by passed and fitted new, pushed it and it started everything was fine just stopped and it won't start lights are dim very little power in battery lots of chattering I have messed with master switch all no good HELP Needed!!

Lots of 7 batteries fail within 10y: not sure why.

As a first approximation:

Starts on external jump but not own battery: starter and engine OK, but battery or cables or connections not OK.

Starts on push but not on external jump: engine OK but starter etc isn't.

While you're waiting;

1 Start inspecting and wiggling the relevant leads and earths. 

2 Do the headlamps come on at all when the engine isn't running?

3 Ignition warning light as above? If the alternator etc is working it might run fine with a duff battery once it's started.

Jonathan

PS: Great local wine for dinner.

I though the battery was special to CC but the shop "Roady" (French Halfords) supplies Banner batteries, they are small shops so may not have a 53034 in stock where you are but a few weeks back both the La Rochelle branches did have the exact ones on the shelf.  
About 100 Euro from memory but not sure as didn't by myself as going Lithium Ion.

That's good to know.

Your nearest Roady is:

CENTRE ROADY SAUMUR (49400)

AGRION
Boulevard des Demoiselles
49400  SAUMUR

Tél. : 02 41 40 24 20

Horaires d'ouverture :

Lundi au vendredi 8h30/12h00 - 14h00/19h00
Samedi 8h30/12h00 - 14h00/18h00

Jonathan

PS: Powervamp are looking for a dealer in France!

Can't thank you chaps enough , well lights all go out when started , so I think it must be battery, my thoughts where , bad earth , can't be that as it would not have started with jump , Fia master switch again I think it starts fine with jump it shouldn't be that , so bearing in mind 10 years old its the battery. I will try today , so basically if its fits its good 

I ended up with a motobike battery with a similiar failure

You might which might be more readily available -  took the banner banner into shop and matched it by size  turned out to be about 2 mm bigger so battery tray needed "adjusting"

Exactly the same as above but i think it was a mini tractor/lawnmower 28 amp. Cant remember make but 60 euros and 1or 2mm bigger (seemed tge same in the shop) so a bit of fettling and its all done , no terminal covers so need to sort that out at home, this all adds to the joy of Caterham ownership!

Had this happen a few times:

Once it was a poor engine earth: working one minute, turn engine off, after 5 minutes nothing, not even headlights.

Another time duff battery.

And finally duff starter. OK when cold but when hot the battery wasn't man enough to overcome the increased electrical resistance, & maybe partial mechanical seizure when hot. Coupled with a failed/failing fuel pump relay so really a fun day out!

Good luck!