Click here if you are having website access problems ×

weight loss

LawrenceR

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lawrence

A LiPo battery is a bargain in weight saving terms!  Reduction is circa 7kg for £160!

I considered drilling holes in my Ali sandwich floor. But then you have to cover them all up and if you don't like it, a new boot floor from CC is £100. Better to do the job "properly" in the first place.

Seeing you mentioned aeroscreen bolts makes me think. I have made a rookie mistake, I have fitted the two unused windscreen bolts in the their holes, need to remove them quicksmart.

J

What instruments do you have? I suspect that there is a good saving in wire and the instruments themselves if you go to a digital dash, especiallly if you use one  that can pull most of its data from the ecu, which will alow you to ditch duplicated wiring and sensors, and you can gun drill any non safety critical bolts to almost full depth.

Back in the pre-membership days there were a couple of weight obsesives who talked about it, Dave Edmunds took a lot of weight out of bdr700 and Julian Thompson was very intent on dropping mass. I'm going to a racetech dash 2, but only as part of a full refurb. not to loose weight. The loom looks to have a  good amount of wire that could go and I might rationalise mine during the rebuild. 

I too am an obsessive type about some things but I don't think I'd go as far as drilling hollow my bolts!

The RaceTech dash looks super cool. I have not seen one in the flesh and would want to check out the clarity of the display in a car as open as our Sevens, particularly with Aeroscreen/no doors, before I considered one.

I would be interested to know how much of the loom can go. Rewiring from scratch, one could size every cable to the necessary current demand too. The copper must weigh quite a lot and there are some very oversized conductors all over the loom.. The more I think about this, the more I would love to build (or even rebuild) my own Seven but that will be some time off for now..

My next steps are replacing the seat runners with fixed brackets and the CF boot floor. A friend of a friend is a designer for a racing yacht company. He is going to calculate the spec of CF for me. *biggrin*

Just curious, but does anyone know what happened to Julian Thompson's car? I remember following the build; all carbon fibre this, lightweight that, a bike engine that got damaged during development, and then up for sale iirc. Is it still on the forum? I'd like to know it's still strutting its stuff.

So could you directly bolt the seat directly to the floor and do away with the runners, or would you need to fasten it thought some Ali box section or similar? As I rarely have a passenger, I could instantly loose a few hundred grams from the car. Less is more. Including passengers ;-) 

Hi

I am not sure what the options are at present. I need to remove the seat and runners and see what the whole arrangement looks like. I will lower the seat as much as possible too but I suspect there isn't scope to do that very much, if at all. Also, I am not sure Ali is acceptable? Maybe a small purpose made steel bracket? I have a local company that could knock something up for me if needs be *biggrin*

My Bolt obsession continues! I have replaced the Ti areascreen bolts with m8 Ali ones. 

Not only are they lighter, another 4g, but more importantly they are anodised orange so match the car. The other plus it they are much cheaper, so with the Ti bolts for sale I should soon recoup the cost.

I got my car back from Caterham Midlands today, so this evening, after a reunion blat, the weight saving continues. 

15 x M5 bolts on the pedal box and scuttle have been replaced with black nylon versions. Saving 46g, costing a few pence.

I also tried to remove the ply from the boot foor, unfortunately Caterham seem to have glued the carpet to it at the PBC. So I will have another go at removing it when I have a bit more light over the weekend.