Click here if you are having website access problems ×

weight loss

LawrenceR

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a can of Holts Tyreweld (very kindly given to me by Steve Mell when he sold his Seven) which seals and inflates insitu and under load according to the blurb. In theory, if it works on (even the smallest) a car, it should work very well on my 125kg corner and 18psi Seven tyre. Reputedly the tyre is repairable afterwards too. Of course, i hope never to have to test the above but it does offer peace of mind.

Hi Mankee

I have just got home and looked at my alternator. It is a QX Vectron QA2720. No idea how heavy it is but I'd like something lighter if possible. It appears to be rated at 85amps, what do I need for my Seven. BTW, I use a LiPo battery. 

My mate [with an Elise K series] has just got a new alternator from Elise-Shop. Model no LWKRAC which weighs 3.1kg. It is a WOSP LMA226. Is that any good or can I do better than that *hehe*

Finally, is there anyone out there dowing intelligent alternators that reduce the load when battery is charged or is that getting all a bit esoteric and pricey?

Oh, so many questions..., sorry.

Cheers

Finally, is there anyone out there dowing intelligent alternators that reduce the load when battery is charged or is that getting all a bit esoteric and pricey?

I've always assumed that typical alternators do that. And that the power required to generate lots of charging current is much bigger than the mechanical loss. 

That' s not to say that the mechanical losses don't differ across alternators, bearings, belts etc,

Anyone got figures for power requirements for our sorts of alternators and how they depend on speed and electrical output? 

Jonathan

The QA2720 part number looks like a "normal" K-series EU3 alternator, if someone could confirm. I'm a big fan of Richard Wos and his WOSP products. Really friendly guy and extremely happy with my WOSP starter motor supplied by AES (http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/). Your mate's LMA226 should be a straight fit on your engine. You should rob it to try one day!

There's not a great deal of difference between the Denso-based straight replacements from Brise/WOSP/Powerlite/etc. They'll all be circa. 3kgs but don't forget to add the pulley on. You might want consider a bigger (but marginally heavier) alternator pulley to slow it down if you are revving into the clouds quite regularly.

Hi

I do "rev to the clouds" occasionally and bouce off the rev limiter on straights on a trackday, but gnerally, no. I'll investigate if needs be in the future. My mates WOSP has a different connection to mine. My plug has BMW [ *eek* ] on it and the WOSP socket looks very different.. I was hoping these would be plug and play. Also, one of my primaries goes very close to the standard alternator. Hopefully the new, smaller item will be a little better in that respect.

My "BMW" plug

plug.png.3ce5cf23bddd64e5e77095fc587f445f.png

My mates WOSP's socket

wosp.png.ac1b0b6b4a1fe2ac2a9d4527161a0037.png

So it looks like Ill be doing a little bit of re-wiring..

J

• 3 weeks later...

A little something about my battery upgrade

Some members may recall I swapped my battery with a LiPo unit back in July but was a little coy with the details. I have now run it successfully since and am delighted with the result.

My Banner [530 034, 300A] is off to its new home tonight so, before it goes I thought I had better weigh it. It is 7.15kg, the Lipo is 1.49kg, a weight saving of 5.66kg for the paltry sum of £180. I call that a bargain.  There will be a further small gain when, over the winter, I tidy up the installation by laying the battery flat, shortening the restraining straps and cables so there is no excess.

This is what it looks like for now ...

lipobattery.JPG.1e887935fbb31f6c0dcd340e2f520ffc.JPG

and this is the item I got, it seems to have gone up a little since I bought it though. 

Just hope he's also zipped his fly...

*yikes*

A while back you were talking about the rear lights and the big heavy horrible rubber blocks; I didn't see whether you'd found any CF replacements yet (?) - if not, I cut about 0.38kg off our car by replacing the factory lights with something rather brighter: http://www.lotus7.club/blogs/better-rear-lights-project

Not everyone will prefer them to the original caravan lights, obviously.

NB. The goal was to get visible rear lights; the weight saving was a happy coincidence. Just as well, being as it cost about £1 per gram...

As quite a few Wipac lighting items (indicators & num plate lights) now have genuine (lighter than incandescent) LED replacements available (presumably driven by the fact that they are fitted to Land Rovers) I don't understand why the oem tail light cluster hasn't been replicated in a LED form but then I guess it's because they aren't Wipac and aren't fitted to a Defender :-(

A little project for Caterham to source perhaps ? LED bulbs are a bit yesterday when you can go LED with a complete unit reducing power consumption and weight at the same time, imagine how many you'd sell to existing owners too.

Yes, it really, really, ought to be time for Caterham to spec a decent replacement that people behind you can actually see.

Since I did mine there are, I'm sure, a few more rectangular LED units available which may be closer to the current stock units. Julian, do have a good trawl around...