weight loss

LawrenceR

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Julian,

Thanks for the PM. 

I had expected I would be buying additional passenger runners to use on the drivers seat but before getting them I thought I would take the seat out and have a look.

The first thing I notice was the hole spacing was correct, they were a little further forward but given I was expecting to tilt the seat back I thought I would give it a go. I ordered about 20 tillett spacers, and some m5 studing from screw fix. I then played with the spacers to tilt the seat backwards and set it as low as possible (I am 6') with the base of the seat just touching the lowered floor.

I screwed the studs in the seat base and stacked the spacers. A spot of superglue on the last one so I could turn it all upside down. The studs were already tapered so it was easy to line them up and slot them in place, before securing with nylocs

Overall I was really pleased. I think I might move the pedals to the furthest forward position, to lower my knees a little, but it is very good as it is.

Hi

Thanks for the information. You have given me the impetus to do the job. Interesting that the holes lined up. What are the odds of that happening? I'll probably start by looking at the passenger seat and see how I get on but the weight saving is superb for the price!

I hope to change back to CR500's from ZZS, does that count?

Oily removed my boat anchor front engine mount today and in his typical style fitted a beautifully made cover plate to fill the void left in the cambelt cover. Edit- the mount weighs in at 995g with the four bolts and the cover and rivets to replace it probably only weighed around 50g so saving nearly another kilo...

All the aloominum removed from the inside of my cylinder head must have saved some weight too *biggrin*

Hi Lawrence.

Glad you fitted the boot floor *yes* , what was your original made from again? I only saved 479g. 

Do you have an idea what your Seven weighs now? Perhaps we need a weigh in somewhere soon? I would hope less than 500kg for mine but still have some larger opportunites to go [seat runners, rollbar, carpets] before we get to the silly money CF bits...

Whats great is that all this really has made a difference to the way Melody feels on the road. Like we are running on vapours when the tank is half full.

Just back, bit slimey under the trees out there this morning but great fun *wobble*

Ian - swapping for one without the X for the road. Swap back in for track days.

I do Jonathan, just one more piece. It will be sufficient provided you have an S3. Happy to send it over. Please PM me your address and I will do it when I get back from sunnier climbs.

Julian, my original floor was two piece, ali sheet and ply board, I am not sure what each weigh individually but combined they were over a kg.

In reality I have no idea what my car weighs. I guess about 550 kg.  It is a duratec which won't help for a start, I think the quoted weight is 540 kg but I am sure this will be for the most stripped out unpainted aero only car. I have a nominal target of 600 kg driver + car

If anyone has a good guess of how much a 2015 Supersport R running, TB's, dry sump, a six speed box, but no heater would weigh I would be really interested. I have removed the windscreen, hood and doors, have a non FIA roll bar (full cage on order) plus all the other stuff documented on this thread.

The only way to be sure of course is to have the meet up somewhere with scales. 

Hi

Can you diet your way from a Duratec to a Sigma *thumbup* ?

We should have a weigh in, i was going to PGM a couple of weeks ago for a flatfloor which for various reasons didnt happen. Its a shame because i would have known now what mine weighs. Maybe we could meet in the Spring when both our Sevens have had as much done as possible so we both know for sure!

Mine is also just under 1.5kg. I could have gone for a lighter one but at the time i was concerned about capacity. I will buy a lighter, lower capacity one next time. Still a super saving on the standard batteries weight though.

What is the best alternator to buy to save weight for a K series? How much weight can i save assuming i have a normal alternator at present?