Click here if you are having website access problems ×

weight loss

LawrenceR

Wassssat?... Demands enlightenment... as it sounds like something an Android Tablet would have first thing in the morning... looks to the Internet.

edit: So, it's a shared Spreadsheet of some kind? could be exactly the thing for this subject.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, so tonight was not so successful for me!

+ Removed one horn 293g saving

+ Fitted new front section of boot floor 479g saving as reported previously

+ Fitted one of Carstens lovely handbrake grips, a 42g saving compared to the CC Ali jobbie

- Tried to remove rear section of boot floor to weigh it and assess replacements. OK, so I am not the brightest spark but how do you get it out *eek* . I cant see even removing the rollbar would make it any more possible.

- Tried to remove my seat. The bolt just rotates. How do you stop that, I can barely get my finger into the top side of the bolt [?] let alone a spanner! I want to remove it to see if I can get one of my suppliers to make up fixed brackets in lieu of the runner. I understand the runners weigh in at 1.6kg per set on the spreadsheet. I can get something made up which will weigh much less than that.

- Tried to remove rear section of boot floor to weigh it and assess replacements. OK, so I am not the brightest spark but how do you get it out  . I cant see even removing the rollbar woulf make it any more possible.

Just keep wiggling with confidence. Have you tried going diagonal... in two different ways at once?

- Tried to remove my seat. The bolt just rotates. How do you stop that, I can barely get my finger into the top side of the bolt [?] let alone a spanner! I want to remove it to see if I can get one of my suppliers to make up fixed brackets in lieu of the runner. I understand the runners weigh in at 1.6kg per set on the spreadsheet. I can get something made up which will weigh much less than that.

You can jam the head with a straight screwdriver. Once they're out you can weld the bolts in. But I'd cut a slot in the end of the bolt with a cutting disc in a Dremel, and then hold it with a screwdriver while you bring the nut down.

Jonathan

Thanks for the info, will look again at the weekend. I like the slot idea *thumbup*

Lawrence, I am pleased there is no mark on your scuttle, I think it looks much nicer without the trim. 6.66kg, well done. This is fun isnt it!

JK, I think the boot floor challenge should be on Krypton Factor. No matter which way I tilted, rotated, raised, lowered etc.. I couldnt get it out. All the time making sure I didnt damage the Ali bodywork from the inside! 

"This is fun isn't it"

Yes, in part I bought my car as it a hobby. Building it was great and I just see this as an extension of that. 

A bag of nylon M5 bolts arrived today, I am going to see how much can be saved by replacing those that hold the rear wings on. Furthermore it should, help protect the side skins if I ever hit anything with them.

In addition, having taken the wedges from the fog/reversing lights it look as if their bolts can be replaced too.

Every little helps! On Friday evening when I was in my Seven I noticed the length of the bolts which fix the mirrors to the Aeroscreen and thought maybe I should replace them with shorter ones. 

I would love to build my own Seven too, and do all this from scratch. Trouble is how expensive the kits are these days!

I'd keep an eye on them if I were you.

i am still looking for a new material for my rear boot floor. I found something called Dufaylite ultraboard Polyprop that looks interesting. Can't find the weight for it but suspect it is quite light. If I find it is, I will ask for a sample.

I think it is Ali for motorsport use, I notice its an Acadamy regulation, they mention something along the lines the floor should not be replaced by CF. Reading into that, they seem to concede that replacing with CF is a done thing?

I finally got the rear boot floor panel out. I have not a clue how, it just seemed to come out all of a sudden. I hope it won't take me as long to figure out how to put it back in. *eek* 

First job, to weigh it. It is 1.89kg which is approximately 6.3kg/sm. What thickness CF would I need to span the approx 330mm between supports, be adequately strong to do the job and fix the filler neck cover too?  I don't mind a little flex in it. I never put much in the boot, perhaps a hood and my manbag *whistle*

Cheers,

ps - Lawrence, just got what you meant by nylon being strong enough... not sure I could handle the appearance if I am honest. I think I will just replace the mirror fixing bolts with shorter ones.

I finally got the rear boot floor panel out. I have not a clue how, it just seemed to come out all of a sudden. I hope it won't take me as long to figure out how to put it back in.

:-) Videos? 

I guess the piece of ply was flammable, unless treated.

It's surprisingly resistant. But some plastics are really nasty when they burn... smoke, toxins, drips.

Jonathan

Oh, black, now your talking! I like that! Can you put threadlock on nylon?

I made up a rear boot floor with the [fire retardant] Armaboard 1440gsm material that I made the front piece with. Its more stable than I thought but don't think it will be suitable even though its only 415g, close to 1.5 kg saving. I will put it in place and for a few weeks and see how I get on. I also considered cutting loads of holes in the standard ali floor and covering them as another option. Probably end up with CF though.

No video JK, I needed both hands available for this one! 

I have just made a less economical weight saving purchase than you Julian!

I changed the blots that hold the interchangeable aero screen on from steel to titanium.

Two bolts £3 each, giving 3g saving per bolt. Total saving 6g @ £1/1g.

This is getting silly! Fun but silly.

I should be able to improve on this a bit however, the bolts I have bought are m8x30. At most they need to be 20mm long so I will shorten them when I get the chance.

Is a bench grinder the easier option? Or does any one know where m8x30 are needed, in a low stress operation, are on the car?