Click here if you are having website access problems ×

weight loss

LawrenceR

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just swapped from dry to wet sump on my fireblade. Weight off 6kg, weight on approx 1.4kg. I wonder if the wet sump carries less oil, so maybe there's a little bit more of a saving that I don't know about. Definitely a sub 400kg car now :-)

A mate of mine has run his Porsche Boxster for five years now with a lithium battery (in summer) with no issues.

Other possible weight losses:

- horns (reduce from 2 to 1)

- windscreen, wipers and washers (or just empty the wash bottle if it's a dry day.

- rubbers from brake and clutch pedals and drill the pedals (done neither myself - not brave enough!)

- carpets

- remove the tails from zip ties!

Incidentally, presumably you have told your insurer that you have removed the cat?

Andy

The biggest saving was spare wheel etc, then the heater which with water was about 8kg lighter and the starter and alternator , the starter 1.5kg and alternator 1kg

Then of course theres the windscreen not only weight loss but aero screen far more aerodynamic

I'd remove the heater myself but I'm a wuss who feels the cold. I run aeroscreen so removed washerbottle too. It weighed about 1.65kg, the contents of which got poured into my tintop! It's ready and waiting to reinstall later in the year when its cold again [see, I told you im a wuss! *rofl* ]

Just remembered a couple of other things:

- delete reversing lights. Carry a torch (lightweight one of course)

- delete the high intensity rear lights and replace with one small red FIA rain light as used on formula cars

- put the number plate on the O/S rear wing. Delete the number plate light. Instead cut out trhe bottom of the rear light and replace the red plastic with clear plastic. Voila (that's yer actual French) you have a much lighter number plate light

- drill holes in the red plastic engine cut off key and remove its shrouding. Fits in your pocket easier too

Andy

I have been in the garage for the last 30 mins and have saved nearly 0.5 kg for no cost.

As suggested I now only have one horn. = - 0.286 kg

Tiny bit of remaining IVA trim = - 0.015 kg 

Engine lifting eyes and retaining bolts = 0.181 kg

i am thinking swapping the boot carpet and the wedges behind the fog and reversing lights next.

Lawrence

I do like the gear knob. I am trying to do this next phase as cheaply as possible but have to ask how much? (Not to worry I have just seen your cost/g)

I do remember seeing, perhaps in low flying, someone who machine radial grooves in the standard gear knob, if mine wasn't black I would be tempted to try.

Lawrence

I removed the wedges some time ago, not for weight saving but for aesthetics. Much nicer IME. The only trim I have is the bit around the edge of the scuttle over the dash. I looked at removing it but it leaves a mark in the paint where it was fitted so I have left it on for now. I need to see if I can polish the mark out with T-Cut.

I like the idea of removing one of the horns. I will look at doing that when I remove the engine mounting bracket at the weekend.

The gearknob was £90 plus VAT and delivery from Reverie. As I said earlier, it's silly money, but when I actually saw it, I was delighted with my decision. 

I have made the replacement forward section of boot floor with the Armaboard sample. It weighs 216g instead of the 695g of the plywood. A free 479g saving. I am going to get some new screws tomorrow and replace the chewed up existing ones. I'll fit it tomorrow night *yes* Pic of old and new below.

_DSF6510.jpg.6cdf2be2165e269aa88d0f42e57fb812.jpg

The spreadsheet after much searching can be found here :- https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lct2ure0w7yqpvu/AACuNkfcG4WShsYP6RhkJz0ha?dl=0

I've just (in the last day or so) moved to a new desktop machine (after using the same machine for 13 years or more) so can't even view what the content of the spreadsheet is at present, from memory of my last look at it some years ago its not all that comprehensive but it is a start, it would be good if someone central could be the keeper of a master copy of what all the weights are.

edited to say: it seems to be viewable in dropbox and is more complete than i remember.

Thanks for the links. 

Its good to see that when I remove the tunnel and rear bulkhead carpets I will be able to save another 2.4kg! I need to get round to that sooner rather than later! Thinking of carbon vinyl to replace it. How durable is it, does anyone know please?