Click here if you are having website access problems ×

weight loss

LawrenceR

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done! I thought about loosing the mats last week, are you going to replace them with something or leave the floor bare? I also wondered on options to replace carpets and what's available to replace the standard transmission tunnel top. Recently I have changed the battery to a LiPo which is a mere 1.5kg, I believe the standard fit Banner is around 8.5kg. Also, since I only use the 1/2 hood I have changed my boot cover and removed the full hood sticks. That saved about 1.2kg on the sticks plus a bit more on the mohair cover which is lighter than the vinyl original.

Last week I weighed my Seven and it was 570kg with me in it. I am about 10 1/2stone clothed, say 65kg. Not too sure of a VOSA weighbridges accuracy either (the one at Shoreham by Sea, near the airport on the A27) and it only measured in 10kg increments so it could have been between 565 and 574kg but either way, I was quite pleased with the result. *wobble*

I wondered if there is a database somewhere of weights of all the common parts on a Seven and what are the best places to focus our attention. The boot floor and carpet are also on my list for investigation!

I wondered if there is a database somewhere of weights of all the common parts on a Seven and what are the best places to focus our attention.

There have been a few sporadic collections of masses in the archives, but I haven't seen anything like a grand database.  That battery change sounds like one of the biggest possible reductions... if the disadvantages of a lithium battery aren't a showstopper.

Jonathan

Hi Tom, it is a Duratec so no engine mount to remove unfortunatly.

Jonathon, A bit of Healthy Competition sounds like a good idea. I will have a read of the link and come up with a plan; i have allready been approached by a anthermember looking to lose a bit of weight as well.

Regards

Lawrence

Hi

I'll check out the engine mount thanks. Can you point me to a photo of what I should be looking for?

I searched the archives quite a bit about the LiPo battery before I went for it. I thought the downsides were worth the risk to try it. I still have the Banner back in the garage on standby if needs be. I will make a decision whether to redress the cables and cut off the excess / reterminate for a neater install at some point in the near future. *yes*

I'll check out the engine mount thanks. Can you point me to a photo of what I should be looking for?

I don't have a photo to hand, but look at the front of the engine. There is a gap in the belt cover with a lump of metal sticking out with two bolt holes in it. Take the cover off and you'll find the lump of metal is bolted to the front of the engine. Remove the bolts and the lump of metal and discard. Remeber to patch the hole in the cover to stop carp ingress.

Thankyou Nigel. I found it, its a big lump of unnecessariness isn't it. I won't remove it tonight but it is high up my list for tinkering. Perhaps if I get 5 minutes at the weekend.

At risk of opening myself to ridicule, in for a penny, in for a pound...

I measured my mats, they are 633g each so lighter than Lawrences but still 1.266kg/pr. Seeing the bare floor, I don't think I can live without something there but will see if there is a sensible but lighter solution. Mine are quite badly worn so I can justify their replacement! Whilst weighing my mat I found an excess of stowaway gravel in my footwells, so both mats out and the vacuum cleaner charged into action. Yay, another 138g! *whistle*

I removed the carpet in my boot which weighs 453g so thats not going back in! [that also make me start thinking about the rest of the carpet, probably 2kg more to save there!] Also, looking at the boot floor the Aerolam [?] and plywood has got to go, even if its no significant weight saving. That looks horrid! Any ideas what I should replace it with?

Let the ribbing begin *biggrin*

I might remove my boot carpet, but I believe the boot floor is part of the crash structure so will leave those in. 

Any ideas for a light-weight alternative to the boot carpet? 

The only other carpet is on the transmission tunnel, but given my car is a duratec I think I might need to keep the thermal insulation properties.

Lawrence, how about some black rubber non-slip perforated sheeting for your boot floor. I have no idea how heavy it is but it would serve the purpose probably better than carpet for making the floor non slip, the best reason to have carpet in my view. See ebay item no 231295014377. Check how much it weighs before you buy though, you never know, it could be more that the carpet *frown* Personally, I think making the boot floor with a lighter and more nicely finished material in the first place is a better option.

Keeping this madness legal, safe and appropriate is of course without question! My boot floor is held in with 3 small screws fixed to a lightweight aluminium profile spanning over the diff so it can't provide much protection. Carbon fibre might be a stretch too far financially? Not sure what thickness I would need if it were sensibly priced anyway. It does not have to span very far each way. 

I work in the construction industry and one of my suppliers [of protection materials] makes a black heavy duty board that weighs 1.44kg/sm. It is fire retardant too. I reckon that can replace the 6mm plywood piece at the very least, if not the ali sandwich board [is it called Aerolam?]. The plywood is probably around 4kg/sm. I have a sample of the board on its way *yes*

Do I have to take the roll bar off to get the Aerolam [?] piece out.

Good idea on the anti slip matting. I even have a roll of it in the garage. I bet it is a lot lighter.  

I don't think you have to remove the roll bar to remove the boot floor. 

Let me know how you get on with your ply replacement; do you know what it is called?

You can get the aluminium honeycomb section of boot floor out once you cut out the edge of the hole around the fuel filler ... I used tin snips. It is quite tricky pushing it to the left side under the top chassis rail ... it then just eases out on the offside.

All this talk reminds me that years ago there was a spreadsheet running on here which had weights of many things regarding Sevens, somewhere in my massive archive of data I have a copy (which may take some finding) obviously it dates from 10 or so years ago but if I can find it would anyone be interested in a copy? ISTR it had various comparison weights like for instance the standard gear knob versus the infamous nylon gear knob that one of the club members used to manufacture at one time. It would be good to bring the sheet up to date with the many new things fitted to Sevens now such as the Sigma engine, BMW Diff and MX5 gearbox.