Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sticky (tyre) question

charlie_pank

Following the advice I have received I'm looking to get some A021Rs, not having had a chance to dive into the garage this morning I'm not sure what profiles I'm running at the moment. But I'm sure someone here can tell me the profile of the Avon fuel saving tyres on the Academy cars is (I suspect it's 185/65/R13).

Also, should I stick with the same rolling circumference as I've got or would I be better off getting rid of the 13" minilites in favour of the 15" R300 wheels? (and why) - it apears that if I get 15s I'd have to increase width up to 205 or 225 because that's what size of A021s they make. If I have to do that will I need wider cycle wings?

Sorry I know tyres have been done to death...

C

Charlie'n'Kermit

The plan is: there is no plan

S5EVN

Rolling circ depends on what you want.

021's are cheapest in 185/70/13. More expensive in 185/60/13. On the road the 70 profile may give a little better ride and 0.5" more ground. Can't comment on the grip difference as I have only run

the 60 profile. I may use the 70 profile when the current set are worn out for cost reasons.

Something like £65 vx £40 each comes to mind.

There are far more tyres out there for a 7 at better prices for the 13" rim.

Esp slicks / ACB10's going 2nd hand.

My racing pics, 7 DIY, race prep. Updated often here

Photo's of the year here

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

I thought A032R was quite a lot stickier, but less good in the wet. I could very easily be wrong though. I'm looking for something which is nice and progressive because I'm well aware that the limiting factor is me not the handling of the car.

Also, will I need to change my De-dion ears to use 32s? and finally are 32s ok in the wet as I use it mainly on the road come rain or shine.

C

Charlie'n'Kermit

The plan is: there is no plan

S5EVN

If your using the car in teh wet and your not an experianced driver I would go for the 21s.. the 32s are ment to be a bit hairy in the wet, prone to aquaplaning in standing water. The 21s give a good level of grip in both wet and dry, having done the Fin2002 tour in them they did over heat on the track (it was hot ) but fine when driving around in heavy rain to and from work.

The 21s should last upto 10k miles, whilst Iv heard of reports that the 32s go after about 3-5k.

If your 99% road driving then the 21s but may they get eaten more on a dry hot track..

you pay ya money n take ya choice..

terve,

Chris

Its not snowing *smile*, but its still -8 outside ☹️

• Support Team

I can attest to the level of grip A021R's have in the wet as I did the Llandow track day last year in the p*****g rain! I was able to keep going when most of those on A032R's had given up! I have yet to try them on a dry track (praying for Llandow 29th March to be dry) so can't comment on the overheating. If you're going to drive in all weathers (as I do) then A021R's are probably the best bet. If you can afford two sets of wheels of course....

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Edited by - Shaun_E on 30 Jan 2003 13:35:28

I believe that the Academy spec CR322 tyres are 185/70 profile. Stick with 13" rather than buying the 15" wheels and for your use, the A021R would seem to be the best bet.

If you do go 15", seriously look at the Avon CR500 tyre as there have been some good reports about the newer compound (wet and dry conditions) from others on this forum. The ones fitted to the R300 are 195/45 profile.

SteveP

I have only got ~6000 miles out of 021's.

Agree about 021's/032's in 60 profile being similar price but the 70 profile ones are much cheaper.

021's do overheat when pushed hard on tracks, esp. in wam weather. Not that badly though.

They are the tyre I would start out with for mixed use if I were you...

My racing pics, 7 DIY, race prep. Updated often here

Photo's of the year here

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

Edited by - stevefoster on 30 Jan 2003 15:03:46

i have 60's AO21's on our SV. I can personally attest that at 8500 ft in altitude, in the alps in a blizzard with black ice, that they work very well. can also attest that in hailstorms with the road covered in it, and flooding water that they work the business. they also seem very good on wet roads with leaves on them

you do need to let them cool down on track days though

Steve

Metalic Black SV-VHPD *idea* click here to see our pictures....

One thing which will probably attract huge amounts of derisive comments, but hey: going to a lower profile (i.e. 60) on the 13" rims will give a better response (acceleration and braking) because of the improved gearing (and yes, the Academy 2002 boys did run on CR322 185/70R13s), but will mean that it will need the speedo adjusted to read the correct speed.

It will also mean that if you're doing a lot of road miles (which I do), then you will notice a much lower fuel economy due to running higher revs for a given speed (if you do any "fast" driving - i.e. >60mph on A-roads and motorways). I know that if you drive a Caterham, then the driving is more important than worrying about the last few mpg, but think about this - that extra £100 spent on go-go juice could be better spent on fun upgrades for the car, or a trackday...

you're not trying very hard if you get 5k out of a set of 32s. I think i got 3k once, 2.5k is more normal, and the last complete set only did 1600, although that 3 LONG track days and they we only just on the wear indicators.

They're not scary in the wet, its just that to aquaplane the puddle doesn't need to be that deep. So I drive a bit slower if there are puddles about. 21Rs are more progressive (which is some achievement as gooning on a wet track is 32s is superb fun), last approx twice as long, and a small tad cheaper.

13" is the way to go - the tyres are half the price of 15"

HOOPY 500 kg R706KGU

One word of warning

MAJOR difference between cr322's and 021's is found when pushing se7en from one end of garage to the other. It's MUCH easier when shod with 322's at 26psi than 021's at 17psi - that 's what the wife told me anyway *eek*

You will REALLY notice the diffference - I did. Istayed with 70 profile though as I've got the 4.11 diff (and would probably be doing 4000 revs for 50mph in 5th if I went to the 60's)

I even managed to get the 021's slightly warm last weekend (and I can't drive properly yet).

It's your money, your choice, but G.Polley looks to be the favourite source for these things - remarkably cheap and timely on delivery too.

Dave M.

(Busy painting a "7" nosecone mesh to match the rims)

I found 032's (supersoft compound) a real handful in the wet this morning, broke traction too easy and performed little dances mid-standing water. Can't wait to munch them on the track (although the ACB10's will get there first 😬). Think i'll go with 021's myself next winter.