Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Coolant Usage - No evidence of leak?!?

Gregs79

All,

Any one got any ideas why i might be using coolant when there is no evidence of a leak anywhere?

i was wondering if the coollant might be escaping from the coolant tank via the cap as I have noticed that the caps are pressurised to 16 psi?

I have looked for a replacement locally and they appear to be 21 psi?!

Any thoughts would be welcomed. :-)

Kind regards

Gregs

how much loss?

what engine?

Could be head gasket or water pump (both common on K-series and not always obvious.
Any mayonnaise in the oil filler cap or on dipstick?

Loss from the header tank should leave streaks on the tank.  
You could wrap some paper towel or toilet roll around it, to check - it will probably dry off, but will discolour, showing any leakage..

It is a Duratec and coolant loss depends on how long I have been driving! It has remained the same whilst the car has been sat for the last week.

The car is dry sumped, and have checked the oil filler cap and there is no residue on the cap!

• Leadership Team

I had a similar experience with my duratec last year (when it was just 2 years old), turned out to be a water pump leak, very difficult to spot as it never left a puddle anywhere. Only spotted by the keen eyes of Richard Young - now retired *byebye*

My discovery is doing similar, if I find out whats causing it I will let you know, mine seems to loose about 2 litres in 400 miles, only when running though, same thought about pressure cap which I will replace anyway,  but I will do a pressure test to see if any leaks becomes obvious and maybe chuck some flouro dye in to see if I can find a leak, no cream in oil, no obvious bubbling in expansion tank so its a mystery at the moment .

I had a similar problem which turned out to be a very small aerosol leak from the end of the hose attache dto the pump. I only spotted it after I had put in a strong solution of antifreeze, after which a fine white stain was evident on the block behind the pipe.

Been having a similar issue with mine (although K-Series). No visible leaks when standing or running, no mayonaise, no exhaust gasses in coolant.

Changing inlet gasket and manifold seems to have cured it at the moment but early days.

Previously have had tiny leaks from silicon hose joints that only leak when hot, and the leak was so fine that it evapourated so not signs when cold. Telltale then was a slight stain on the underside of the bonnet.