Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Trunnions

Culminator

Hi all, I want to make sure my trunnions are well greased/oiled as I've just bought the car and want to check everything. I hate the idea of using oil as it'll be messy and a pain with a grease gun but keep reading that LM or CV grease is now teh way to go. What do most people use now?

You might want to invest in a bigger set of quotation marks, even with the nipples removed it was far from clean, it just increased the in / out ratio of the oil a bit. 

One thing to consider is if anyone has greased them rather than oiled them, 'cos if they have then the job gets worse as it is nearly impossible to get the oil to displace the grease. When I rebuilt the cat 9 years ago I ended up stripping mine off the vertical link and cleaning it all out with brake cleaner, then 1/4 filling with fresh oil and then screwing them back on with the nipples removed to allow excess to escape. The steering was a lot lighter once it was done.

You will probably find the oil leaks out of the bottom of the trunnion. 

I took mine off and soaked them in petrol for several days to remove the claggy old  grease. 

Then used some industrial adhesive I liberated from work to seal the steel plate inside the bronze trunnion lower member. This has worked well. 

You may be able to use araldite or similar, but scrupulous cleaning is required for the adhesive to bond to the metal. 

Regards Nigel. 

• 4 weeks later...