Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Temperature warning light

heavenly7

My garage was telling me that the Rover engine is great but if you ever have a water leak you have got about 10 minutes to see the temperature rising on the gauge before the engine is a write off. It went through my mind that a temperature warning light on the dash would be useful - has anyone fitted such a thing.

Ah, you won't like the answer (not cheap see... although I'm not suggesting you're cheap... oh God, I'll stop digging now... 😳)... mine are all driven off Spa dual digital gauges. No extra senders required. The gauges drive LEDs on the gauge-display and external LEDs. Very neat.

Worcs L7 club joint AO.//Membership No. 4379//Azure Blue SLR No. 0077//Se7ens List Tours

High temperature warning senders (for oil and water, the senders can't tell the difference) are available from DT amongst others. Lights are just lights - use whatever you want. The potentially tricky bit is finding somewhere to put the senders without taking out existing senders.

A simple option maybe to fit a warning light to show you when the cooling fan is running. Having it come on clearly doesn't mean imminent melt down - the fan is there to stop that happening in normal circumstances - but it could be taken as a warning to start watching the water guage more intently than usual.

A couple of lenths of wire and a suitable light unit is all that would be needed.

Jonathan

Demon Tweeks sell a thingy that does just this, item 4 on page 162. A short length of radiator hose diameter ally tube that has an adjustable switch built into it.

Cut out a couple of inches of bottom hose, fit this in with a couple of jubillee clips, wire up to a light on the dash and the jobs done. I've not seen one of these but I have seen the item from the same manufacturer for controlling the fan, item 7 on the same page, and it's very neat and well made.

Dave K, I reckon thats worth a couple of quid for each one you sell, what do you think?