Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

James Whitings Small Black Headlights

Harry Flatters

I'm changing from chrome to black (well, it's a bit more difficult than getting a sun tan ). With regard to the headlamps it would appear James Whitings offering at £95 a pair looks damn reasonable, compared to Caterhams and Vehicle Wiring Products offerings.

Has anyone bought the JW ones? What sort of quality are they, fitting, powder coating etc? I wanted to order them today, so any opinions would be most welcome.

*arrowright* *arrowright*Harry Flatters *arrowright* *arrowright* *thumbup*

AKA Steve Mell of Su77on Se7ens

Steve,

I bought some just before Chrstmas. Quality is fine. They seem better than my old lights, could just be different bulbs (I didn't check).

I had one problem, one sidelight didn't work, but it turned out to be just a bad contact within the bulb holder, so easily fixed.

Managed to thread all the wires (inc repeater wires) through the mounting brackets, so that cleaned up the appearance a bit.

Remember these are smaller than the std Caterham lights, I think the sizes are 5 3/4" (JW) as opposed to 7 1/4" (Std).

Rgds

Ian

Harry

I fitted the chrome version that James Whiting supply. Quality was good, no rust on the chrome so far, but only been on the car 6 months. In respect of fitting the only fiddly bit is dismantling the multi-plug connector, threading the cable through the headlight support and putting the plug back together again. I will explain in greater detail tonight and I'm sure if you ask TC nicely he may even collect the lights for you on this way home from work.

See you later

Mark

I know Hoopy has some fitted to his car. He reckons they give him at least 10bhp more than the standard head light *wink*.

From what I have seen they give better illumination than the standard light too even though (I presume) they run with 55w/60w bulbs.

Alex B

S713UMY

1.8K Viper Blue and Black

presuming you're just after better light at night.......

why not just get some new bulbs? i was speaking with someone at the penn 7s meet last weekend who has converted to the Philips Vision Plus bulbs from www.powerbulbs.com or 0845 123 2855.

they have bulbs that are direct replacements that are 80/60 watt but only consume 45/60 watt and supposedly they are the business. these are about # 26 each and you get free sidelights if you order off the website.

i'm about to order a set

Steve

Metalic Black SV-VHPD *idea* click here to see our pictures....

If you use PIAA Extreme White @about £35 each you get pretty much Xenon performance (well they are as good as te Xenons on my tin top)

BUT I am pretty sure the smaller reflector in the 5 3/4" unit DOES reduce the light output)

Arnie Webb

The Fat Bloke *mad* back @ 512k