Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Eastwood Dual Voltage Powder Coating Gun - A bit of a review

Titanium7

Today I was fortunate to trial the above powder coating system. For some time I've been meaning to re paint the 'eye brow' above the cut off switch on the car. I had previously sprayed it with satin cellulose spray paint but it was looking tatty again.

The gun needs a low (5-8psi) supply of compressed air, a spray booth or a simple booth made from a cardboard box and an oven capable of holding a temperature of around 230C (not your home cooking oven as the curing smell which contaminate any future food cooked in their). 

The results were pretty impressive, a thin very smooth hard gloss finish (gloss powder). 

Some things I learnt 

You cannot overload the item with powder as the static attraction becomes less when a certain thickness is on the item.

The oven is obviously the determining factor of the size of item you can coat

You can empty a pot of powder pretty quickly when you don't check the psi and fire it at 80psi!

The powder coating will not disguise a poor finish on the item

The finish is not good when you drop the item on the floor when taking it out of the oven! (A test sample thank goodness)

You need to add a vacuum cleaner as an essential part of the kit!

Overall I am very impressed and I can see my spanner set being colour coded shortly !

Around £125 for the basic set. Powders are reasonably cheap at £18 a kilo although probably 70% of the powder is wasted unless you sweep it up, sieve and re-use. That's a real possibility if you fabricate a cardboard booth rather than an extraction booth.