Click here if you are having website access problems ×

broken piston :-o new engine?

Labergorce

after struggling with an overheating problem for a while my local garage has taken the head off to find a broken piston in cyclinder no3.

(car is a 2001 1.6 K series supersport)

The piece that has broken off is no longer in evidence but it clearly has seriously pitted the cylinder head, amazingly the piston ring still seems intact so the engine was running and the bores don't seem to have been damaged. However the liners have dropped a bit. There doesn't seem to be any other pitting or porousness on the head other than the damage done by the piston piece.

the garage feels that a new head is pretty much a neccessity and they have yet to take the piston out and drop the sump to see if there is any further damage to the bottom end.

given the potential labour cost of putting all this right plus the cost of a new head they have suggested it might be worth looking at a new reconditioned engine.

This is completely new territory for me. so looking to fellow blatchatters knowledge for some help......... what is the cost of a new engine? where do you go to source these (the garage does have some sources but i'm thinking good to look myself as well)

Is a new engine the better option? should i get a direct 1.6 replacement? is it worth looking at a 1.8? vvc? don't really know what the options are within a reasonable cost.

Any thoughts or opinions gratefully received or let me know if there's key information i have left out due to my mechanical numptiness!

Cheers

Mark

A wanted advert on here would probably turn up a whole standard 1.6k engine for less than £1000. Alternatively you could brave eBay for a recon or even secondhand.  Be aware that the Caterham application is a slightly modified Rover 1.6 as it has a custom sump and has some webbing ground off to make the starter fit.  Loads on here if you do some searching, so many options.  

Thanks Tom, Jonathan,

I'm certainly open to some upgrades once the work is done. i'm wondering if there's any upgrade path in the new engine rather than a like for like replacement.

i'll have a search in the archives too for more info.

Mark

The world is your shell fish - K series VVC, 1.8k/ 1.6k standard or tuned, even a Ford Duratech or bike engine!! Now is the time to think whether you want to return the car to the condition it was in, or spend more time, effort and cash, and look to upgrade.  The easiest solution is to source a Caterham specific 1.6k and drop it straight in, as that will (should) work pretty seamlessly.  

If you start to upgrade, keeping in the Caterham supplied engines such as a 1.8k Supersport or VVC, you might  need to also think about compatible ECU and possible engine loom for the VVC (that said, you might be able to keep the 1.6k ECU with a 1.8k engine by using different injectors.  I ran a 1.8 on a 1.4 ECU for a year or two).  

Something more tuned, perhaps with throttle bodies or ported head, and you might need a reprogramable ECU like an Emerald.  Ford Duratech, well thats new everything, even side skins! 

I'd get a reconn'ed 1.6 or 1.8 with some kind of guarantee or from a very reputable source if possible, and just swap over the Supersport cams and your sump, and grind off the block as needed to fit. 2001 was around the swapover date from Eu2 to EU3, so may need to check for that.

I wouldn't get a VVC as I think the wiring would have to change. If your long term power ideal is that of a VVC (150?) - maybe, but if you want more, a standard 1.8 may be a better starting point.

VVC Trophy engine (with the stronger pistons and 160 BHP) is another option, but if you have long term plans, they would probably involve forged pistons at some point anyway.

[What I did when my 2001 1.6 popped was try and build up a new engine myself. Took ages,  almost worked out, but ended up needing to go to an engine builder in the end, so cost more than planned. With hindhight, dropping in a reconn'ed 1.8 and swapping over the cams/sump would have been more cost effective]

• Area Representative

Remember that the cams in your existing engine are the only thing that differentiate it from a standard 1600. So swapping your cams into an otherwise stock 1600 would make it a supersport.

Did you like the "character " of your 1600 supersport? If you would prefer more mid range and not have to rev it as much as you do the 1600, then fitting your as cams into an 1800 may be an option, but they then feel a little breathless at the top end (rather than the gutlessness of the 1600 lower down). If you have a five speed 'box, then going 1800 may be better.

Thanks for all your replies. A lot to think about! And decide upon. I've had a couple of offers of engines from my wanted post and I think it boils down to drop in a standard reconned 1.6 or 1.8 and then start the upgrade path from there almost as though it hadn't blown. Advantage of that is quality recon guarantee but same power. Or buy an already upgraded engine that's being sold complete. Obviously upgrade is already done then but it's always a bit of a reliability punt with a second hand engine. 

Cheers

mark

Hi Mark,

I have a good 1.6K ss that you can have for £500.  It is still in my 2003 roadsport so you can hear it running before its removed.  It  currently has a Caterham dry sump Pan fitted this would not be included in the sale so you would need to transfer your exsisting sump pan I am local to you at the west side of Bristol  Abbots leigh.  Tel 01275 371255

Cheerio

Rob