Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Threaded (sliding?) tube on Bilisten dampers. removal - NOW DEDION THREAD SIZE

grumpy the 7th

I'm sure the treaded tube over the damper body, supported by a circlip should slide off and allow me to replace the circlip lower down the damper. BUT it doesn't want to move (grrrh!) copious amounts of 'WD40', Halford's 'Shock and Release', and 'Free It'. Dont want to use any heat or use too much force in case I damage the shocker body.

Any ideas?

• Area Representative

The sleeve should move freely on the damper body.

I've seen several cars where the sleeves have been stuck to the damper body with Loctite to stop the sleeves spinning to offer easier adjustment. All of these cars have previously been worked on by race teams......

I've destroyed a couple trying to get them off......

Have already tried gentle heat from a blow torch with damper clamped as tight as I dare, put the sleeve holding spanner on the flats and gave it some "belts" and it still wouldn't move (the spanner eventually rounded off the flats) So! that's when I gave up.

Now I can't get the bottom bolt into the dedion hole, it only goes 1/2 way in. (I changed Dedion a couple of years ago with out any problems) I wanted to tap the hole and die the bolt (which looks ok), so assume something in the hole???

Anybody know what size the bottom bolt thread is - It's not 12mm and not 1/4 bsp (they're the only taps & dies that are anything near it) I suppose it could be a UNF ??

The bolt is 12.54mm diameter (therefore slightly bigger than a 12m bolt)

• Area Representative

Bottom bolt holding shocker to de dion is 1/2 inch UNF. Be careful it's all too easy to cross thread (you may already have done so by the sound of things. 

To line things up it sometimes helps to turn the shocker through 180 degrees as rubbers tend to stick in a not quite straight position - if you see what I mean. To ensure bolt goes in straight it's sometimes better to remove the top link of the de dion so that de dion can be twisted to help line up bolt exactly. 

Turn the shock upside down and smack the platform with a hammer downwards. Rust, loctite, Bilstein stickers will all try to hold it on but it should come off.

The De Dion tube is probably 1/2" UNF. It is also hard to get the bolt straight into the thread as the shock tends to try to move it another way....