Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rev limiter?

Mucus72

I had the pleasure of taking Richard Price for a few laps around Donington a month or so back. I asked him his opinion on where I could improve my performance and he suggested that I needed to rev the car out to its limiter. I had been revving up to circa 7200 before changing up and he said that I needed to be more aggressive and hit the limiter. 

So this weekend at Castle Combe I threw away my mechanical sympathy and went for it. Bear in mind my rev counter has a piece of red tape stuck on it between 7200 and 7500. I revved up to 8000, which is where the dial ends but still I didn't hit a limiter. 

Does anyone one know if the limiter can be removed from a MEMS3 Supersport ECU on a K series?

I'm fearful of expiring in an explosion....

The only person I know who could do that would be Mark Stacey at Z&F ... but I don't believe he would! 8000rpm on a mostly standard engine sounds like it is asking for bent valves or a piston failure so be very careful (unless you know for sure you have forged pistons and uprated valve springs that can take it). Mark would certainly be able to examine to ECU to determine what the limit is currently set to. I believe 7600 is about the highest that DVA would recommend on a VVC 160 bottom end and around 7300 on a standard K.

I know Mankee's engine bent all its exhaust valves at 8200 on a short rolling road run.

Get yourself an ELM327 and torque on an android device and it will clear fault codes. You can also plot revs, coolant temps etc. The ELM327 was from eBay for about £5 and Torque was brought from Google apps for about £3. It paid for itself a week after as it diagnosed a MAFS issue on an Audi TT 3.2 VR6.

• 1 month later...

Just an update regarding my rev limiter.

Andrew Revill and I ran tests at each 1000 rev increment using an OBD reader, whilst maintaining constant revs so that the reader would record a fairly stable result set. The Rev counter is reading circa 200-400 revs higher and is further out the further up the Rev range. We recorded somewhere around 7,600 at just under 8,000 on the dial and did not want to go any further for fear of serious damage. I still didn't hit any rev limiter!

My car is a SuperSport 1.6 K DVA fettled, circa 150 BHP unit. I've asked the previous owner to help me understand if its had any bottom end upgrades. I know top end work has been carried out, but unsure beyond that.

I suspect that the standard rev counter, although electronically counting ignition pulses, uses an analogue instrument to display revs.  Your statement that the error increases in proportion to the revs would bear this out.  It may be possible to recalibrate the meter if there's an internal adjustment pot or select-on-test fixed resistor

Better quality instruments, e.g. Stack, use stepper motor instruments so the reading will be more accurate.

Paul

So whats a suitable rev limit for a standard bottom end 1.8k?  Ahead of the Oulton track day later in the month, Ive programmed the Emerald at soft cut off at 6800 and hard at 7000 to avoid getting too excited and taking it too high. A few hundred RPM at the top end wont make any difference Id have thought?  Does this sound about right? 

For my first 1.8 engine, which was basically a boggo standard engine rated at 150bhp/133lbft @ 6430/5072rpm, I used shift light at 7000rpm, soft-cut at 7400rpm and hard-cut at 7600rpm. It was plenty safe enough and there was no point in revving any harder as all the good work was done by 7000rpm.