Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

1.8k clutch problem

Andy-M

Hi all,

This is probably a bit of a numpty question as I'm a bit of a beginner when it comes to maintaining my 7 so bear with me.

I went out for a blat this afternoon with swmbo and started to get an issue with the clutch when slowing / stopped. Sometimes when I depressed the clutch pedal a squeaking noise starts up and I get vibrations back through the pedal. Any idea what the cause / remedy might be?

Thanks

Andy

Andy, could be the release bearing on the way out, fairly common issue on K series car, I am local if you want a second opinion and help, i had same issue and changed last year. does it do it more when car gets hot? Hope simple issue, Cheers Paul

First question: is your clutch cable-operated or hydraulic? 

If it's cable, and the noise is more of a squeal than a squeak, it could well be the clutch release bearing (CRB) has failed, or is failing.  Does the noise go away if you pump the pedal several times?  What pedal return spring(s) do you have in the pedal box?  

If it is the CRB, there's lots in the archives about the problem and the need for adequate pre-load.  You could start with these:

http://www.lotus7.club/forum/techtalk/crb-pre-load-k-series

http://www.lotus7.club/forum/techtalk/damn-crb

There's a guide on how to increase the pre-load here.

JV

Hey Paul, it started doing it after about half an hour - 40 minutes blat yesterday - I can try to check tomorrow if it also does it when cold now that it's started. Second opinion and help would be wonderful! I'm a little nervous of the whole 'engine out' bit!