Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Problems following cam belt change

Mark w

To save my daughter a bit of cash i volunteered to change her cambelt .

Engine is a 1.4 VW in an Audi A2 , the sort with two belts , a small one around the top two pulleys and a longer one from the top to the bottom . 

The belt change went ok , marked the position of all the pulleys before removal , locked the two top pulleys with the correct locking tool .

Changed the belts , all the marks line up BUT the flipping thing wont run .

It seems to run ok ish on 3 cylinders but as soon as i put a plug in cylinder no 1 it wont run at all . 

I am at my wits end , any suggestions .?

Right , update  No 1 . 

I disconnected the battery , cleared all the fault codes in the system ( with a basic reader i have ) and after reconnecting the battery low and behold it started .

A little rough at first but I ran it up to temperature ( had changed the water pump and coolant so wanted to bleed it ) and all seemed smooth and well  . 

Left to to cool , started it again and i now have ECR and engine warning lights on ( orange ) .

Last time we had these we ended up having to change the lambda , why would i end up with this fault , all thats changed is a replacement timing belt and the timings the same .

It needs an MOT in 3 weeks time ..............

Oh i hate old cars ( that are not Caterhams ! ) 

Right 

Its all sorted .

After swapping a few bits from my other daughters Polo ( same engine ) it turns out that plug lead no 4 wasnt making good contact , the fault sent the ecu into spasm . 

Just goes to show how one thing can cause a completely different fault ( i had only removed spark plug no 1 to confirm TDC ! ) 

Anyway , brakes next week end and then MOT ( hopefully ! )