Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

VX timing belt

h.p.c. peter

My timing belt is due a change it's a HPC with Caterham dry sump system that runs off the crank front pulley ,it's held on by cap head allen bolts [dry sump pump drive pulley] behind this i can see another set of allen bolts i assume this holds on the alternator pulley. Trouble is they seem very tight i am concerned i might shear them off or are they prehaps left hand thread maybe just use brute force help

You've probably solved this by now, but I've just changed the timing belt on my wet sump HPC.

The pulley is held on with 'Torx' style cap heads - but beware they are not torx heads ; they have twice as many points.

I took the whole pulley and belt drive off by removing the central Torx bolt - size E20, with the pulley on the bench they were easier to remove; I now have allen screws instead.

I am pretty sure mine are allen or hex headed bolts. Remember them cambelt change I did last year.

Are you changing the plastic idler pulleys (if that is what you have) at the same time? They were/are a recall item by VX.

Watch out for how easily the crank can be moved by accident / mark it up so that you can verify it is in the same position are when you started.

I made a little locking tool for the cam pulleys out of some box section ali cut down to fit.

Have fun.

My racing pics, 7 DIY, race prep. Updated often here

Photo's of the year here

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

H.P.C. Peter,

Regarding the Allen cap screws holding on the small pulley that drives the scavenge pump they are tight (Loctite) but just normal Rt hand threads. You do need to get them off before you can get to the cap screws that hold on the crank pulley. I've just taken mine off, found the biggest problem was the hex recesses were slightly burred over, presumably by stones being thrown up, once I'd sorted that out, just tapped the allen key fully home and just horsed them out.

Good luck

Alan