Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K Click best relay?

john milner

I did the relay mod two or three years ago to fix the common K series hot start problem. The relay I used was from Halfords. Recently starting has sometimes missed a beat and a few days ago failed to cold start until I gave the relay a a prod. I have now replaced the Halfords relay and so far all appears to be okay. My question is if anyone is aware of a good quality make of relay that is better than most. The replacement I have fitted is Tec...something and cost £5.

• Area Representative

Unfortunately relays are often poorly made and prone to ingress of water. I'm not sure that any are better than another. My first went a bit faulty after about 9 years, so not a big problem at only £5 each. I did think about taking one apart and trying to seal it better using glue but then it was easier just to buy a new one to carry as a spare. 

It is mounted on it's back making use of an ECU mounting screw. I don't think water has been near it but the new one is in a fairly good quality bag just in case.  The bag should also be able to show me if water is a problem in this area. I've done a few hot starts today with no problems so I'm reasonably confident the Halford's relay has a

fault. The problem was it clicked okay but failed to operate the solenoid. At least it gives me an intermitent spare to play with for now but long term I will get a good spare hence the reason for my initial post.