Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Urgent Sprinters spares box

punch

Due to medical problem cannot drive for four weeks have withdrawn entries to Harwood and Loton, but spares box is with me at  Compton near Newbury , RG7 6RD, Any one passing to collect ? eMail or call on 01635 529262

Philip.

• 4 weeks later...

Just been round with David who's car was running earlier today.  Now its not!

1.8 K on MEMS.  EU2

He was driving home from MOT and it simply stopped.  I was away with Penske so no help but tonight made a little progress.

Initially no power to ECU.  Acouple of swaps between MFRU's and it suddenly began to power up.  Imobiliser seems to be turning on and off (although I don't trust any imobiliser).

Zero spark on the plugs.  David has already changed the Crank sensor.

I think there are multiple issues - which just confuse when tracing.  My guess is that given this engine has stood unused along with loom and ECU etc for a few years damp/corrosion could be the issue?

However I would go for it not starting in the first place but why just stop?  Plenty of fuel.  Its lack of spark that is the issue.

At least now the IVAC initiates.

Any ideas?

What does the Imobiliser talk to?  Presume its the ECU  not the MFRU?

Is there a spark when earthing one of the plugs? If not is the rotor arm corroded, going back from that is the coil working? Immobiliser is linked to ECU, however I think with EU2 engines it's easier to remove. Might be worth a chat with Ronnie Gibson if it is the immobiliser as he will have a far greater understanding of how it's linked and whether it can be removed without Ronnie having the ECU and re flashing it. 

Ronnie Gibson, Vitesse Electronic Systems, 10 Main Street, Bilton, Rugby, Warwickshire CV22 7BN. 01827 64555 (might not be correct as haven't checked details personally)

Ronnie I believe worked for Rover when developing the MEMS for Caterham and still has the hard/software to allow him to access the ECU's. He's also one of the people usedby the Grads etc to check maps on ECU's and disabling the immobilisers.