Click here if you are having website access problems ×

TPS set outside its calibration range with MBE ECU

antonio

good evening

a friend did something wrong with his engine and the car won't start....or start and idle/run poorly.

i know he did touch the "idle screw" on the roller barrel to get the engine hot quicker...

i assume the TPS value at idle is not right because we have no fuel coming out the injectors when trying to fire up the engine.

ECU is a old MBE unit, and the probleme is i haven't got the MBE interface to set up the TPS value correctly.

is it possible to reset this value without conecting the ECU to a laptop? something like the standard rover ECU...

merci

salut Ian!

yes, we can easily start the car with the help of  very little brake cleaner... and from time to time engine would start as it should (albeit it runs poorly) on it's own.

when engine is running, the mixture is wrong (black smoke, bangs and rattles)

apart from the RB, he hasn't touched anything.

which MBE ECU does he have - 956, 967 -  and what engine and year?  Setting the TPS is not difficult although it helps if you can connect it to a PC running Easimap.  Otherwise it can be done with a voltmeter/multimeter.  Unfortunately MBE don't have an automatic procedure for TPS adjustment, you have to set the idle voltage by hand.

Unless it has a very odd map, even if the TPS is at its 'idle' setting, there should still be fuel coming from the injectors.  Is the fuel pump running for a couple of seconds after ignition switch on?

Unless he undid something else I'd be surprised if just tweeking the roller barrel idle setting would cause the symptoms you describe.

paul, issue appened after a bleeding procedure so very lillte chance he touched anything else.

i'll have a look tonight at idle voltage value

don't know the exact MBE year, but i rebuilt the engine last year

It was the MBE model and the engine type I was after, although the procedure is much the same for all.

Normally the MBE TPS idle voltage is set to 360mV (0.36V) although different mappers sometimes choose different voltage settings and TPS voltage/mapping site curves.

If the engine will start and run, get it good and warmed up and then measure the TPS voltage, either with a meter or Easimap on a PC.  Slacken the TPS clamping screws and turn the TPS back so that the voltage stays well below 360mV and adjust the throttle idle to the correct revs.  This makes sure that it's idling at site zero.  Then adjust the TPS so that the voltage is 360mV.

If it won't start or run, it can be that the TPS setting is too high and the fuelling and ignition are over fuelling and/or over advanced (or retarded) respectively.  So do as above, adjust the throttle body idle screw so that the throttle is slightly open, then set the TPS to 360mV and tighten the clamp screws.  It should then start unless something else is wrong.  Once hot, setup as above.

If it won't start because it's been overfuelling, wash the plugs out with carb cleaner, it's the only way I've found of cleaning them quickly unless you leave them for hours to dry out, and even then......

Paul

hi paul!

all sorted, but it seems like the previous owner never bothered to get a decent map sorted. my friend has disturbed a little the TPS when refiting the thermostat... i had to set the idle at around 0.6 volts because the map is completly wrong under this value... i hope my friend will manage to use the car for his holiday.

thank you for your help and for all your advices chaps!

antonio