Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Seven JPE no52 for sale - worth a mention here for sure...

C7GCS

They don't come up very often and are hard to put a realistic price (and this one is not mine), but its definately worth a mention here in case anyone is searching for one like i was a couple of years ago.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Caterham-Super-Seven-Jonathan-Palmer-Evolution-JPE-/151754054699?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item23553f1c2b

I can vouch for the JPE though - its the most exciting seven I've owned (even compared to my former K and D-series R500s)

I expect it will go abroad like most JPEs - the Japanese & love them along with the BD Cosworth, hence the Tamiya models (some say there's only about 12 JPE's left registered in UK).  JPE is a significant Caterham though: - to me its the pre-superlight, superlight and a truely 'inspired' package, well ahead of its time.  I know, its quite easily re-created with any good tuned 2.0 VX red-top, but its nice to have an original numbered car eh ;)

Thats Kennys car, formerly of this parish. The dealer Ron Hodgson also has (at least did when I last looked) a yellow Superlight that they have had on their website for ages.  Looking at the big pictures of the Superlight, I think their price was on the high side for its condition.  

Jersey car was available not that long ago for 15 grand less.  I turned it down because it was too expensive given the amount of work required to remove cage etc to put it back to original. It was destined for Sevens & Classics but I didn't ever see it appear there.....

i dont see JPEs at more than £30k, but then that's just me I guess!  I wonder how that car acquired Hyperion stickers? Steve (number 1) did own one but I could've sworn it was Kawasaki green....I don't ever recall seeing this colour car there.

I agree Mark - common sense should put a JPE at R500-money still, but I suppose its a bit like several marques eg the Porsche world - its a numbers game (ie anything with an RS or a GT badge made in smaller quantities fetching silly money these days), and there was a 7 HPC Cosworth on her the other day that was up for more than some R500s so its a case of they are worth whatever people are prepared to pay I guess, supply & demand and all that.  

Of course sometimes people's hearts rule their heads or they end up paying a premium for exclusivity for a future classic - not such a bad thing with for the Caterham/Lotus marque (in this context I'll get my Lotus7 Series 2 Cosworth some day - but they are fetching a pretty penny these days and will probably appreciate faster than I can save up for one!).  Speaking of old hardware have you seen the price of a mk.1 Lotus Cortina these days? - the world has gone mad for retro kit - it seems nostagia commands a premium these days - and I think its the global market and the internet that is doing it, there is a lot of international trading and speculating going on.

Still, its nice to see nice old sevens come up from time to time and its worth a look on the "Caterham Register" for numbered special editions as there's a JPE section along with most of the Superlights on there http://www.thecaterhamregister.net/index.htm and as long they are out there being enjoyed its got to be a good thing.

Yes, there was an orange one for sale on the continent last year also for upwards of 60kEU , its one thing marketing them for this but its another thing getting a buyer prepared to take the plunge.  Mind you, its like anything, keep it long enough and in good order and value should rise.  I'm not sure what they change hands for in Japan, South Africa, Australia or Malaysia - as these markets are most suited to them being RHD, although I think there a few of the 53x JPEs that were ordered with LHD chassis for continental Europe.

I think the Jap market has cooled off. They're not absorbing any marque of car and a friend who sells MGs tells me a lot is coming back this way.

No doubt the residuals for Lotus 7s are healthy - Lotus as a marque is collectible for the right cars - but again, the market for Cortina Mk 1s has levelled off. several are unsold at the £45k mark. Of course it's vital to ensure they are genuine, but I know a man who is an expert on them and wouldn't hesitate to have him inspect one if I were interested.

Anyway, Mike, as you say, it's not all about the investment potential is it? These cars are for driving!

• 2 weeks later...

In Japan old school Minis's, Morris 100/1300's, MK2 Jaguars and Clamshell winged Ford and Cosworth engined 'old school' Caterhams (no, really) are still massively sought after.

There was a Swiss registered JPE a few months back on Autoscout that was up at the 85,000 CHF mark. But as said...Crazy money or an investment.

I would have laughed five years ago if someone had told me that my ex AVO RS2000 was going to be worth north of £25k in 2015. I thought I was onto a winner selling it for £2500 in 1987...

The bubble has to burst....has it not?