Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil change - have i got it wrong?

robn

Always feel a proper idiot asking these questions but here goes...

2004 R300 with anti cav tank - wanted to changethe oil pre Brands track day next week.  So ran the engine up to temperature, removed sump plug and filler drained oil, took filter off and more oil out (obviously), left it to drain for about 10 mins.  

New filter on filled with about 6.5 litres of oil, ran it up, oil pressure ok, level looks ok but hard to tell with engine running.

Woke up in a cold sweat.......... should I have drained the cav tank or does it drain through to the sump?  Have I now over filled with oil??

Checked the forum and some opinion is yes you do drain the cav tank but this seems to be on 1600SS, some opionion is no.

Can somebody put my mind at rest either way please?

embarrased thanks

Rob

The tank does drain through the sump somewhat, but there will probably be another 0.5l left in there. Many people do oil changes without draining the Apollo specifically, so I wouldn't worry. It's quite common for the drain plug in the Apollo to leak, so at least by leaving it alone you don't have that problem.

Initial fill of 6.5l is probably OK....when you say 'level looks ok but hard to tell with engine running', what do you mean? Checking level with engine running is the way you should do it.

If you have overfilled it, then you need to undo the sump plug, let some oil out, and do it back up.

Always feel a proper idiot asking these questions but here goes...

You also have to remember that your question (and any answers you receive) may benefit others, especially those who were too shy to ask. For example I am currently considering installing an Apollo (*wink* - you know who I mean!) and will also be helping somebody who has an Apollo change his oil next weekend. I was also wondering how you should go about changing the oil with one installed ... and now I know a bit more *smile* 

So always feel free to ask, and if you you post up a problem and susequently resolve it, always post up the solution. That way we all learn.

Very true..... there is no such thing as a daft question

So we should check the oil level with the engine running - I never knew that after all these years I thought you did it with the engine warm but not running.

Every day is a school day *bow*

If you can obtain a Pela vacuum pump or similar just take the fitting off the top of the Apollo tank and suck away.......job done........simples!

Also can be good for sucking the oil out of the Diff, over filled coolant header tanks, oil out of lawn mowers etc etc 

If, like most on here, you change the oil every 3000 or so, then it's not a big deal not draining what's left in the Apollo tank.

They can be a pain, and they are also very thin! The drain plug can be very tight to get out, and you need to be really careful with this, or you could tear it open. Later versions had a hex section on the base, so you can hold the base with a spanner whilst undoing the drain plug. These are a little less susceptible to damage. Early versions don't have the hex, so there's nothing to get hold of, and best method if it's tight, is give the Allen key a clout, rather than exerting extreme force pulling at it.

Oz.....