Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Gearbox 'chatter'

paul jacobs

I've got a BGH modified gearbox on the back of a 2.3 Duratec and the noise, mainly on overun around 3k - 2k is dreadful.

Having spoken to BGH about this, the reply I got was that they all do this, however, I'm not certain they do, can anyone else comment please?

Hi Paul, my old BGH 'box was a real screamer, only silent in 4th gear, however it was a slick action and never had any problems like jumping out of gear, or not engaging smoothly. BGH would say T A D T S,  bet it's not as much of a singer as the Quaiffe S/C C/R in mine, every gear but 4th has a tune. Regards Nigel. Apologies for poor presentation, my tablet here is having one of its hissy fits, damn Android (haemorrhoid) o/s. 

I have a BGH on the back of a 2.3 Duratec, and the gearbox is not too noisy.  It clatters a bit when idling in neutral, but that is no longer heard when either of the pedals to the side are depressed.  Biggest issue for me is that it frequently doesn't want to go into reverse without a fight, but then sometimes it does. *confused*

Thanks for the comments everybody, it is not the diff. and it seems to happen mainly on the overun between 3000 & 2000, and gets worse the hotter the oil is, so with cold oil it's not too bad, but after half an hour or more, it is really loud, and sounds as if the box is about to self destruct.  No problems with gear selection though.

I have a nasty feeling I will have to take it out this winter and return it to Chris at BHG for some fettling.

Spoke to a friend who has a couple of BGH's fitted to his cars and he mentioned that the rattles that he had were due to the nylon bush at the root of the gearlever being worn.
He sourced a Bronze replacement on-line which cured the problem (4 times the price but worth it).
May be useful info anyway...

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks David, but I don't think it is that, it's more of a loud rattly vibrating sort of noise on the overrun with a hot box and frankly, it doesn't sound good, but Chris at BGH, who recently modified it, seems to think it is fine and something that all Duratecs are likely to do.  I rather think we've all heard that before?