Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1988 Caterham HPC Cosworth BDR for sale

Rev

I've decided that I'm going to sell my car and just listed it on Piston Heads.

It's actually a sad day for me as I put a huge amount of time, effort and money into the car and spent hours polishing and bringing it up to a standard that I was happy with.

The truth is I just cannot get on with the tightness of the pedal box and wouldn't ever dare to drive it in anger. I have fairly huge feet and they just won't fit!

It's all as listed and a lovely car, so I thought I'd give it the "Heads Up" here in case anyone was interested.

Nick

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/caterham/all-models/caterham-hpc-seven-------2015/4449155

Thanks for that. Appreciated.

It is lovely and just such a one off.

It lived snuggled between a pair of Lamborghinis which had a similar existence for 26 years. All have now been sold. The worsed thought is that I was actually going to use it and it'll now probably end up once again in a collection.

Such is life!

:-)

For such a lovely car, which you clearly dont really want to sell, why not speak to Bruce Robinson at Arch motors and see if they can make you up a custom pedal box with more foot room?  All a pedal box is a few sheets of ali rivetted together, and at least on my K series, there is a bit of room to play with before the gearbox get in the way.  Could an SV pedal box be made to fit?  Taking the engine out would make the fitment easier, but you might be able to fit it without doing so.

Or is it the pedal spacing thats the problem?  Thats not an insumountable problem, pedals could be bent further apart, especially with a slightly larger pedal box.

7s can be modified and adjusted for fit more than almost any car, so Id be giving exploration of such options before selling and regretting it later.    

I've spoken to Bruce this morning and there is very little that can be done. A 1/4" is the maximum that can be obtained and that would be better, but not solve the problem.

Very nice guy though and owns a similar car, so it was nice to have a chat.

If it's an M1 or a 507 yes please!

i certainly remember. I was being nosey around everyone's cars! 

You were really helpful, and so was everyone else I spoke to, so thank you.

That is a stunning looking/specced car. You could probably shift it overseas if you advertise somewhere internationally like autoscout24. The Japanese watch that site too. This model/spec is right up their street although if it had clamshell wings it would fly (probably literally :D ).

Best of luck with the sale. If I had lottery funds I'd snap it up *thumbup*

I'd never heard of AutoScout before, so thanks for that. It always amazes me the number of sites out there.

I'm in two minds now about selling to be honest. I keep wandering by it in the garage and thinking I can't let it go. It sort of looks at me with a hang dog expression. It's such a pretty car and one I know I'll regret losing. The amount of time thats been put into making it "as new" again is immense and it means that I know every nut and bolt on it. A lot of love went into it.

I've worked out that it'll sit sideways if I put it on wheel skates at the back of the garage and I'll still be able to get another in front, so that solves a problem.

I'm going to let the ad run for the remainder of it's time and after that it's no longer for sale. I'll at that point take a hack saw to my little toes. That way my feet should fit!!

I think I'd explore those extra few mm that Arch said the mod would offer , it might make a differance and that might just make it driveable for you. 

I am not sure letting it sit there in the garage will do the engine anygood . Elie Boone of this parsih has built is own pedal box with your engine so might be worth contacting him and asking about space.

It'll never just sit there. As I said I can drive it, just can't drive with the confidence that would come from a clear pedal box.

Over the winter it'll get all avenues explored.