Click here if you are having website access problems ×

apollo again

C7JFM

Just fitted the new apollo tank, including removal of a small piece of engine block (eu2) as previously described. I am worried about the two oil pipes which are touching the lower alternator mounting bar just before going between the alt. belt. There seems to no way the pipes will route a bit higher and not touch. Is it me 😳 or are they all like that sir *cool*

I was more concerned that the 5/16" half nut supplied to go inside the cam cover on the bleed hose fitting is not an 'aerotight' or equivalent shakeproof type.

[paranoid/on]

Where does it go if it shakes off.................................. *mad*

Mine's getting fitted with a shakeproof type nut AND threadlock 😬[paranoid/off]

Did you get the foam pads referenced in the build manual?

Mr Walkers advice seems sound ... As Mav pointed out we didn't have this problem.

Mr Locust .... Mav and I used Threadlock (I think a Locktite product) on the nut on the cam cover. This seemed a wise thing to do as it seals the thread as well as stopping the nut from falling off. In fact we used it all on all the threaded componants when fitting the Apollo tank ...

Hope this helps

Cheers

Alex B

S713UMY

1.8K Viper Blue and Black

• Leadership Team

My car had an oil cooler fitted from new - pipes routed in the same manner. There's a piece of reinforced rubbery-plasticy stuff along the top edge of the alternator bracket - like the stuff used around car door seal but without the weatherproofing compression part. must be available from somewhere like Europa parts??

Stu.

Mr Locust

If the car is left for a while, the oil does drain back into the sump and there can be a delay of several seconds on start-up before the oil pressure builds up again.

It is possible to buy a non return valve to fit in the pipe that goes to the cam box. Think Automotive sell them and I recall that there was a thread on the subject last year.

pete

In the overall scheme of things it is about what I would have expected. Don't forget that in your average car without an oil pressure gauge the light will go out at less than 10psi *eek* That is the reason why you have the perception of instantaneous full oil pressure.

If the general experience was more than about 10sec for 'full' pressure and the standard setup 'instant' then I would have been concerned.

I hated the oil pressure build-up delay so have fitted the one-way valve set-up. Details on request!!!

As to the alternator bracket fouling the two hoses, I too had that problem. The stand-off bracket is massive so it was marked with a pencil in the area that need alleviating and I then removed the bracket. I carefully ground away a suitable curved section off the top of the bracket and finished off with a file and then emery paper. Naturally, the ground away section has nice flared curves to eliminate stress points.

Result? A lot more clearance and no strain/pressure on the oil pipes! *thumbup*