Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

More battery problems

chris a

I know it is the time of year for battery problems, but I thought that I had done everything that I was supposed to. Bought new Banner battery last March, and a conditioner (battery not hair), but now car won't start. The engine turns over very slowly then stops. I have tried recharging using normal charger but the battery doesn't take any current. The car will start with jump leads.

Is there something I haven't thought of, or do I need to buy a new battery, and if so, do Banner's usually last only a year??

Thanks

Chris A

Unless the battery has run dry or been abused in some other way, such as flattening it and not re-charging it for a period, or your conditioner being faulty, I would say the batt is faulty. At under a year it must be under warranty?

IF the conditioner were duff and putting out too high a voltage that would damage the batt but would also cause the cells to dry up. If you check the voltage the condtioner is putting out (maybe when connected to a known good battery) and it's ok then it sounds like the banner.

I would expect 3 yrs upwards from a batt that has been looked after.

Graham

I had a brand new batt that would not accept any charge.

It would not surprise me that you could have a new one work for a while and then fail as you describe.

Fluid level is important for full umph capability.

If you have a proper batt charger then charge overnight

/ check the connections and if ok and the lights dim quickly when put full on, it sounds like a batt fault.

My racing pics, 7 DIY, race prep. Updated often here

Photo's of the year here

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here