Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Engine running rough and I'm stuck for answers

jimmct

Car has all of a sudden started to sound rough at lower revs and popping and banging thoughout the range. 1600gt cross flow running 40DCOEs. So far I've tried:-

checked for leaks around manifolds and exhaust - none

changed the coil - no difference

changed rotor, dist cap, leads  - no difference

changed sparkplugs - nope

Checked carb balance and floats -nope

Checked the O-rings on the inlet manifold and they all looked ok

plenty of fuel getting to carbs

i'm at a loss .........any ideas?

James

Don't think its fuel as I've been filling up often due to putting in the miles and there is about 1/5th left in the tank from the last fill. Problem has only just now started - no issues over the last month / 500 miles.

Seems to run smoother at higher revs (with the odd pop).

I had a similar issue when I fitted the Emerald M3D Ignition ECU. This retaines the distributor for switching using the lumention optical eye and spark distribution. However, the bobweights are secured shut as the ECU will take care of advance.

The mistake I made was having the bob weights welded partially open, so the optical eye was itself partially advanced with respect to the rotor arm and cap position.

Timing was set absolutely correct and everything worked as it should. After a while the engine faultered, popped where it shouldn't and failed to run smoothly. The 7 was flat bedded to Dave Walker at the old Emerald Cams site in SE London (back in the day, now moved).

He found the rotor arm was firing at the correct cylinder but due to the advanced base plate was also partially cross firing to the next cylinder at the same time. This cross firing partially ignites a charge in the exhaust cycle causing the missfire situation.

Dave filed a new slot in the distributor shaft to flip the rotor arm to a better position and moved the cap to suit (something like 180 degrees but i would need to look again). All has worked perfectly since. He called this cross firing.

I only offer the story in case you have done something with your distributor sensor and this gives a clue. This will not show as an error in ignition timing value.

King Willy

Friends had something similar .... despite the fact they had recently replaced the distributor cap and rotor arm .... it was found the sprung carbon pin in the middle of the cap had worn away to nothing. Amazed it ran at all.

I'll check the timing and the voltage in the morning. No condensor. Spoke with Northampton Motorsport and they reckon it may be a valve issue *weeping* since the car (1997) still has the 4 star head running on unleaded with leaded additive which they didn't rate - any idea on the cost of a conversion if they're right?