Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Lithium Ion Battery

Nifty

I can't tell what the battery chemistry is on the Marelli one. LiFePO4 (lithium iron phosphate) seems to be generally what is being offered by other manufacturers. Supposedly because it is thermally and chemically more stable and therefore safer.

Lithium-Ion is a generic term for lithium batteries.

• 1 month later...

Probably not the correct thread to ask in but why are the Banner batteries so carp or is it purely the way they are used in a Seven that seems to shorten their life so. My last car needed one at 3.5 years and I've just replaced the one on my present car also at 3.5 years, is it the fact that unlike normal cars they don't see use every day, it's almost as if they should be a 3 year service item and at £60 I suppose that's not a bad idea but when many car batteries now last between 5 & 8 years or more why should a Banner only last for half of what seems the average.

A friends 1.6SS K series has one of the Marelli ones in it - there is no chance it weighs in at 2kg, more like 1kg if not less.  

His car has had it since April with no issues. I'll be ordering one myself in the future when the car is ready as it's actually a very easy loss of 6kg or so over standard.

Probably not the correct thread to ask in but why are the Banner batteries so carp or is it purely the way they are used in a Seven that seems to shorten their life so.

Good question. Some possibilities:

1. The batteries are inherently not very long-lived.
  2. Multiple deep discharges, as Tim says.
  3. ECUs tripping becomes a limiting factor, even though the engine still cranks.
  4. They get cooked.

Jonathan (PVR 25 on a conditioning charger, and no current problems)

Matty7 - I really did think about trying one but wanted 'a battery' almost straight away and didn't fancy buying yet another charger as the Accumate is not for charging Lithium Ion batteries. I do like stuff to be a standard size so the Marelli battery very much ticks that box and is so light also.

JK - Some interesting points, Longevity is questionable plus in my case I don't know what happened to my batteries historically but many people do not understand that the Banner has to be maintained, levels checked etc. Deep Discharges, I think I tipped mine over the edge just by leaving the Accumate plugged into the car but turned off which helped to drag the battery down into the 11's volt wise from which it was very hard to raise again and then once the voltage was reliably 12 or more it just fell over when any load was shown it. Rather oddly the last car would crank ok when the battery failed and the ECU was working ok but the immobiliser started acting oddly, this car the immobiliser has been fine all the way through but the battery only had enough energy to turn the engine over perhaps one turn so it's like the last battery could do amps but not volts and this one volts but not amps. I did also consider the PVR25 but again I'd have to buy another charger although I did wonder about creating a small wooden storage box to hold fuses and bulbs and also fill out the battery clamp as the standard battery does.

OliverS - That's very interesting. You can see both sides of the argument, you'd not want a big heavy battery in a Seven but equally a suitable capacity is needed to avoid the item being over stressed in normal use.

Really by buying another Banner I've bought some more time to consider what to do next and hopefully by then even more people will have experience of the various options available and they might even be cheaper by then as well.

• 2 years later...

That's good to know. There must be some more experiences by now...

Failing that there's reputation and brand to support buying decisions.

Meteor Motorsport have the Varley Lithium Li5 at £99 + VAT.

Demon Tweeks now have a big range and after some discussion today of which non-lithium batteries are used in 7s they came up with:

Varley list the Li-16, which is the same size as the PC680 battery and 16amp/hr, this battery with charger is £655.00 + vat

Or Super B offer the B15p version again @16amp/hr , this cost - £595.99 + vat, and the charger to suit is £99.99 + vat.

Jonathan

Ditto, I have a Varley Li5 still going strong after 2 years in my 420R. Cut off switch used when not in use, always struggles to start when the battery and engine are cold, but once the battery has got some heat into it, after 3 or 4 goes at turning the engine over, it will start.

I've no hesitation in recommending one!

• 3 weeks later...