Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Help- flush fitting alloy filler

RiF

Caterham have stopped the flush fitting alloy fuel filler (petrol filling cap and fitting) for the injection car ☹️

Standard one will not look right ☹️

They say it may be possible to fit the carb version *confused*

Is there any others around, Caterham say none of the others will fit correctly ☹️

Help please *confused* They start building very soon. 😬

Richard in France

Arch build the chassis this week, delivery from Caterham in four weeks, my Duratec 7 is getting closer 😬 *thumbup*

Richard.

Caterham may have 'stopped' it, but will they fit one supplied by you? If they would then I know Demon Tweeks have one in their 2003 catalogue which is the same as the early R500 ones (like I use). Costs about 89 ukp. May be a cheaper source elsewhere, but you CAN at least get it quickly *thumbup*

Hi Chris,

Seen the DT one. Not bothered about Caterham fitting as car will be painted after I collect it and will have to remove fuel tank anyway.

Are you sure it will fit, no problems *confused* Seems strange how Caterham can't do it but DT can 🤔

Anthony, have you actually fitted the carb one to a recent injection model 🤔 Will look at Think Automotive. thanks.

Danwhiley. How can you say such a thing *eek* LOOKS are most important here 😬 and anyway the Rover one is pretty bad quality 😳

Richard in France

Arch build the chassis this week, delivery from Caterham in four weeks, my Duratec 7 is getting closer 😬 *thumbup*

I posted a similar topic a few months ago, wanted to fit an ally cap to my '97 K. Apparantly it's not just a simple replacement on an injection car, something to do with fitting a vent in the tank.

I'd still like an ally cap, as the Rover one looks crap and the key rests on top of my leg when driving.

Has anyone out there converted from plastic to ally on an injection car?

Kermit the K *smile*

Hi Guys, Right. I bought a second hand R500 filler (early circular 'key' rather than the later proper key one).This is the same as the DT one (and prob 'Think Auto' too). I had the std black Rover one fitted originally and, err, disliked it compared with the nice shiny ones!!!. Had to drill out the original backing plate pop rivets, align the new one and refasten with the c/s allen bolts supplied.Original filler neck with vents was attached to the new filler flange with a couple of small self tappers as per the Rover original. Not too long a job (about an hr?). Looks great. *thumbup*

Phew, that's OK - I thought there was some silly reason like the engine would explode if you put the wrong filler cap on. *wink*

Richard - know what you mean about the black Rover cap - the lock on mine broke after about 2 months and now you can open it with any flat object (i.e. screwdriver).

Thanks Chris,

I shall order mine and ask Caterham not to fit the Rover one.

Richard in France

Sorry, one more question.

Which one is the best quality, ie: does the proper key work better than the round key etc....

Richard in France

Hi Richard.

I'm not sure that the key one has any advantage over the 'round' one other than being conventional so easier to get spares cut I guess. You get two anyway so no real hassle. Your choice!

I just had 'hobsons choice' as the round type key one was offered to me at a 'can't refuse it at that price 'cos I want one anyway' sort of deal 😬