Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Clicking/knocking sound.

malcolml

After getting back from my last two blats went to push seven back into garage and got a clicking/knocking  noise it sounded like it was coming from the rear passenger side. I jacked the car up and spun both wheels there was no clicking/knocking lowered to ground and pushed backwards and forwards clicking/knocking was present in both directions. I did check for the noise before i went out the second time no noise so would appear to be when car has had a run. Have checked when up on jack for play in rear  bearings no play.Car is CSR 200 with 15000ml on. Any one got any idea what it may be. Thanks in antisipation.

While we're waiting for a clever explanation of what's different on and off the jacks...

• Check discs for damage and gravel
  • Check for cable ties or handbrake cable catching something that rotates (that one could be different with the suspension loaded or not)
  • Check play in diff and prop shaft UJs
  • Use a piece of wood as a stethoscope (or a clinical stethoscope) to help locate the noise. 

There's a notorious problem with gravel in the rails or under the seat, but your description doesn't sound like that.

Jonathan

Sorry for no answers to your replies gentlemen but have been away for a few days.   Have checked cable ties, handbrake cable, play in diff does not appear to be more than i would expect. Can not check prop shaft UJs as csr has a cover the length of shaft. As to the frequency of the noise its a fast clicking. I did notice a type of gear on drivers side rear wheel where drive shaft comes out of hub could this be catching on something?

a type of gear on drivers side rear wheel where drive shaft comes out of hub

This is the toothed reluctor ring that drives the speedo.  The only thing that should be in close proximity is the sensor.  There should be an air gap between the tip of the sensor and the ring of around 1 - 2 mm.  If the tip was rubbing against the ring, very likely your speedo wouldn't register at all. 

I'm not familiar with CSRs, but is it easy to remove the propshaft cover?

JV

If it just makes the noise when back from a run it may be the lsd. My suretrack diff used to do this, when the oil was cold/thick the 'little wiggly bits' would be damped but as the oil became hot/thin you could hear them falling into place.

*wavey*