Click here if you are having website access problems ×

PVR22 battery replacement for banner - fitting question

Apollo71

Hi,

My banner battery has finally given up the ghost in my 2012 supersport. Too many complete discharges I think. I have a conditioning charger now but the damage was already done!

Reading up on suitable replacements the Powervamp PVR22 seems a good choice.

Does anyone have any photos of an install? Do I need the bracket that they can supply or can I modify the banner bracket?

Thanks

Ian

I don't have the PVR22 but a similar sized battery and modified my Banner tray by flattening the leading edge and modifying the straps. I also took the opportunity to secure the tray to the footwell by a pair of nuts and bolts as I felt the rivets would not be strong enough to keep the battery in place in the event of a frontal collision (the worries of sprinting)

Batterytray.jpg.0fe7600219014489e25c8d282f8ce345.jpg

I've got a standard battery tray that's seen some bashing about to fit a battery like Chris' (aeroscreens) RMD job. If anyone wants it, just shout. The battery is also just sitting around now as I went lithium. But a new one is only £40 or so. I had it fitted in front of a shortened passenger footwell.

http://images15.fotki.com/v588/photos/8/42688/10523039/DSCF1943-vi.jpg

I took a very simple approach when I fitted a PVR25 to my old SS-R.  I used the hard foam packing that came with the battery, and wrapped the whole caboodle in battery insulation (here).  That way, I didn't have to modify the strap at all.  At the time, I recall people expressing concern about using foam in a hot engine compartment, but 10 years on, it's just fine.

JV

I've got a PVR22 installed in the origianl Banner position but laid down. I will take a photo tonight and post it up. If you are using the PVR bracket make sure you continuity test between the bracket and the chassis. There should be no continuity between these two, if there is it is very easy to short the battery and pop fuses or worse.

I had to  use rubber washers betwen the bolt washers and brackets as the bolts were earthing the bracket.

Blimey, that's  carp design!  I made my own bracket but its dimensionally similar to the PVR item and the terminals are well spaced from the bracket.  I would defo suggest using the insulated rubber terminal caps though.  I got mine from a local auto electrical factors but VWP do them too. Check size before ordering.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank for all the replies!

i tried to use the supplied cage but it just wouldn't fit in a good position so after much deliberation, I made some small wooden blocks to pack out the original tray. Painted black I think it looks quite good!

ian

image.jpg.f148ee70da0ab9e4c4cc6931acfc1f84.jpg

image_0.jpg.e4b56e0b1873b45792ad07cf53450bed.jpg