Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Speedo working intermittently

Drumster

1992 car, 5 speed gearbox, VDO gauge, approx. 85K miles.

Went out for a blat last weekend to give the car a run and noticed the speedo not wanting to go above 20mph and even sticking there when stopped. Decided to carry on anyway and at some stage it all started working normally again. Once parked in garage I noticed it had momentarily stuck at 20 before dropping to zero.

Been out to the garage today, removed cable from speedo and engaged 1st gear carefully whilst on rear axle stands. Inner cable rotates and rotation increases with speed. 

Reconnected cable and then tried 2nd and 3rd and the needle responds but appears sticky and unwilling at times.

Would I be right in assuming all is OK at the gearbox end and the problem is most likely with the speedo itself?

If so, is it repairable? As I;d quite like to keep the original speedo (one the the few original bits of the car *eek*

Anyone in the SE have an old VDO speedo I could borrow to check against mine by any chance?

Would I be right in assuming all is OK at the gearbox end and the problem is most likely with the speedo itself?

Probably.

There are three recommended repairers... and members have been pleasantly surprised by the prices*. One is another manufacturer and might not do VDOs.

Check the archives and let me know if you can't find them.

Jonathan

* It's interesting when there are good experiences of all the options. See also silicone hoses.

• 2 weeks later...