Click here if you are having website access problems ×

A rivetting question

Jonathan Kay

Advice from the experts please.

I was doing some light pop rivetting yesterday, and as often happens, the retained bit (? shank, ? stem) wouldn't release from the jaws. It's a Stanley hand-operated thing with two jaws. Well, actually it's two of them that both do it sometimes. I got the second because I complained that the first had this problem... as do many others according to a widely-used search engine.

I'm now highly skilled at removing the thing (spray oil, mount a nut in a vice and press the jaws down on the nut so that gravity helps the thing drop through the hole in the middle.) 

But why does it happen and how do you prevent it?

Thanks

Jonathan

Make sure the nozzle (correct term?) is screwed in tightly.  I find they start to get stuck after a couple of rivets as the nozzle works itself loose.  Tightening it should free the stem.

After popping a rivet make sure you point the nozzle at the floor when you open the handles.

Ah this is interesting as I recenlty bought a Stanley Heavy Duty rivet gun and am having the very same problem.  I thought it was me!

When I first used it it all worked perfectly but then after that it never releases the stem.

I knock the stem out by taking off the nozzle and pushing the stem using a 6 or 7mm drill bit.  Seems to fall out doing this.  Royal pain though.

The one I have is the Stanley 6 -MR55 All Steel Rivetter.

David

I wrecked a drill bit on a rivet that snapped in the nozzle. But I am fully aware of what caused that part of yesterday's entertainments.

It was one of those jobs that whatever I did dug me deeper in the hole I had created, with an ever-increasing collection of tools scattered around me. And it all started with thinking about a holiday... 

Thanks, martyn. I'll try that.

Jonathan

On mine I pull the two handles as far apart as they go - they seem to go an inch further than their open / at rest position which seems to release the jaw grip on the shank. Then a quick shake and the shank falls out the back end of the gun head or loading the next rivet in pushes it out the back. I have a cheapo draper gun.

Ian

Quite a long time ago when I was building a Locust, I had the same problem with my dad's old hand riveter.  Wandered into the house to complain about it to parents and my mum suggested oiling it.   Nah, I thought, it  needs to grip the shank to work.

Anyway, I ended up oiling it.  Worked perfectly from then on.  Still using the same riveter 26yrs later for smaller jobs.

Bri

Never seen one where the shank came out the same way as it went in. They've all passed through the tool and ejected from the top .....

The nature of the pull on the shank is that its a one way trip.