Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Stereo?

Steve n Rebekah51

Autocom with Bluetooth input for music. Listen through Peltor Optime 3 ear defenders with speakers built in. Use also for comms between driver and passenger ... and car to car with PMR. Stereo and speakers a waste of time. Some anniversary models had one fitted. Useless.

I use an mp3 (well flac actually) player with Shure noise isolating earphones se215. The music is audible at up to 80mph without increasing the volume over my normal listening level.

A stereo would add too much weight and would add to the already damaging noise levels at speed.

Duncan

Always had a radio/stereo fitted in my 7. It's mounted up under the dash between the Steering wheel and the side scuttle. Speakers are appx. 5" diameter mounted into the side panels either side just over thigh level. (Mine's an old std cockpit car without the honeycomb filled panels.
Yes, it's audible and I like driving with music.  Have to be careful to remember to lower the volume when reaching built up areas as on the occasions when I have forgotten and then switched off the engine, I am very conscious at just how loud it has been!!

Doug, your dash speakers look really neat, what are they?

I am using these for long motorway runs.  Link They are waterproof with a built in MP3 player. There are no wires from a phone etc to get in the way and can simply hang around your neck when not in use. Sound good and double as ear defenders, the car sounds twice as loud when you take them off!

I've also seen a member with one of these bluetooth speakers under the dash just in front of the gear stick. Link 

For a long time I've used Etymotic Research in-ear noise isolating headphones for longer trips, not only do they keep the noise out like earplugs enabling listening to audio with reduced volume but also once inserted they stay in! (I have a pair of Sony in-ear phones which don't and are a constant irritation). The Etymotics also have an in-line volume control which also comes in handy. I believe you can have personalised ear casts made for the perfect fit.

For local non-audio Blats I have a pair of Etymotic ear plugs which take 10db off the top end.

The Etymotics I have are an earlier version of these here :- http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=321780863321&globalID=EBAY-GB

I'm sure mine were cheaper than those and around £50/60 expensive but worth it.

Obviously then you just need some tunes on your phone which most can do now or if you want to get more advanced and have an Android or Apple device (and suitable data plan) try the TuneIn Radio App, if you have a passenger then add a stereo jack splitter so 2 sets of headphones can be connected.

I have been passed by a Seven driver on the A34 using a pair of these in this colour :- http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=281723309070&globalID=EBAY-GB they looked a bit too Holywood for my liking, just a little too overstated but I'd bet they sounded good.

Thanks for the info Doug.

Jonathan, I have had speakers in my 7 since about 1969 when the first radio/cassette players for cars came out and really appreciate being able to point the car at the sun and relax with gentle sounds for driver and passenger or turn up the volume for the occasional party :-)

I do also nowadays have the Starcom so that I can converse with my passenger and listen to MP3 music when needed...

• Area Representative

By instinct and in practice my soundtrack is that described by Aeroscreens. Induction, engine, exhaust and the road.

In limited experience, noise-cancelling earphones are much less effective in the car than on a flight (when the difference is remarkable), but I have not tried the Etymotic range, which have physical protection built into the design.

The Etymotics aren't noise cancelling, they just act like decent engineering earplugs but with earphone functionality, you can still hear the car depending how far you turn the volume up. I agree about the soundtrack, the snorting and farting of a Seven is part of the experience but if I'm doing a longer trip especially if it involves motorways I prefer a bit of music to pass the time.