Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Zetec Silvertop wiring questions - new installation

Duckpit

Am now trying to wire the Dunnel loom into to 7

A couple of questions:

Is the oil pressure sender on the drivers side under the carbs as with the crossflow? 

I have made up my own water rail and am using the zetec thermostat housing. There are two sensors on the thermostat one top and one bottom. Which one is for the ECU and is the other one the temperature sender to the gauge ? 

Or is the temperature sender to the gauge somewhere else ?

The crossflow had one wire to the sender these seem to have 2

Thanks

Nick

Nick, if the 1.8 engine is like the 2.0 the oil pressure port is below the inlet manifold just above the engine mount, as for the temperature sensor,  I have two, one for the temperature indicator, the other for the ecu signal, I'll get out to the garage tomorrow, do some resistance checks when cold, and post back to you. Did you get any wiring diagrams from Dunnell? They were very helpful when I was looking at a Zetec conversion. 

Nigel 

Nick,

Oil take off point is as Nigel says, however you may need an adapter for the sender as the Zetec block take off points are metric. 

Regarding the water temp senders, the larger top one is the ECU sensor.  The smaller lower one is the gauge sender.

Regards,

Giles

Thanks all, but a follow up question. Currently my xflow has a single wire sender to the temp gauge. The sender on the zetec has connection for 2 wires, as the housing is plastic, do I just add a negative to one terminal ?

And where can I get oil take off adapter if it is metric ?

Cheers

Nick

You need to use the x-flow dial sender, the zetec one is not compatible with the Caterham dial..You also need to add an earth lead as the sensor earths through the sensor body to the block in the  x-flow. I used a short fly lead to the coil mount with 2 ring terminals crimped on.

Think automotive are good for adaptors, I think I got my ecu sensor one from Emerald as it is a stock item for them.

Hi Nick.

My engine has a single yellow and black wire to the temperature indicator, this sensor is about 12mm, and a two wire lead (blue &  black)  to the ecu, this one is about 16mm. 

The indicator sensor will need a connection to earth if you are using the Ford plastic thermostat housing. 

Hope you can sort it all out and enjoy driving the wheels off it. 

The oil sender port I used the adapter from my x flow, no ill effects to date, I don't recall if I used some thread sealant, but that may be a good idea regardless. 

Nigel 

Just by the bye, checked my Silver top Dunnell wiring for the water thermostat. Although the plug type take off on top of the thermostat has the plug fitted, the cable is short and not connected to anything. The only connection from the thermostat to the loom is the single wire that is attached to the underside of the thermostat the exhaust manifold side.

My set-up maybe '2D' as the loom only 'sees' the TPS, Crank posn and the coil pack.