Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Carbon Fibre Under Tray

cskip

I am about to create an under tray from the nose cone to the front of the engine, to protect my open Cambelt from stones etc.  the plan was to use a sheet of Ali for the tray.  However I thought a carbon fibre sheet may be lighter:-).  I know nothing about the various types of CF and even less about cutting and shaping carbon.  So I have a few questions that I hope you can help with:

- what thickness of CF should I use for the tray?

- which type of CF is best for the job?  Remember this is for protection and not on show, so looks aren't important.

- do I need to seal the cuts to the CF sheet? If so, how and with what?

- is there anything else I should consider?

i am not keen on purchasing a preformed under tray, as it will need modifying to fit my installation.  Plus there is cost!

There are Carbon under trays on the Fluke Motorsport website (which isn't Fluke any more) here :-

http://westermann-motorsport.com/index.php?page=product&info=23

As repeated above aluminium is much more cost effective and easy to work with, I reckon you could do it for a 10th of this price here if you have a piece of cardboard to make a pattern with :-

http://caterhamparts.co.uk/product.php?id_product=775

Why run an open cambelt? Well for me with the Zetec installation it's physically impossible to fit a cover as the cruciform would be in the way.

Skip, I made one and this is my post from a few years ago:

Once the Zetec engine was installed I, rather paranoically, became concerned about running a cambelt without a cover (no such problems on the x/flow other than a weedy looking alternator belt) and the likelihood of stones etc being thrown up into the engine bay with disastrous consequences.

Originally, the plan was to just find some fine mesh and cable-tie this to the chassis tubes underneath and while this would enable me to still view the engine bay from below I felt sure the nuisance factor of cutting the cable-ties and replacing them every time would just grate.

I somehow ended up talking to Guy Lowe about this and found that he had already done this with sheet aluminium. He very kindly sent me a cardboard template. With template in hand I visited Richard Young who very quickly made the undertray (it certainly helps if you have the right tools etc, not to mention skills) using 16 gauge aluminium. I decided to fix the undertray using M4 rivnuts, 3 on each side and 1 in the cruciform. This has made removal and fitting very easy. What is probably not obvious from the photo is that the front edge has been bent up at right angles to strengthen the front and it fits flush with the front botton chassis member behinfd the nosecone.

My next concern was trapping heat in the engine bay and I explored various measures such as 2" diameter holes covered with mesh, NACA ducts etc. I finally settled on aluminium louvres. I managed to pick up 4 pairs from eBay for just a few quid. Next stop ended up being a visit to Brent's (again right person, right skills, right tools)as we decided on where to site the louvres and finally fit them. The end result can be seen in the photo below. Note there is a small 'tongue' which was incorporated to protect the oil temp sender and wiring at the front of the sump.   So many thanks to Guy for the template, Richard for the aluminium, his time and skills and Brent also for his time and skills. I've no doubt I could have fabricated something similar myself, but it would have taken 10 times as long and looked carp.

Undertray.JPG.d762d99eb772c81373b846b3ff5acd27.JPG

The template I used from Guy went on to Cris Bramall (AKA Comp Scorer) maybe get in touch with him if you need one for aluminium?

Thanks Chris.  Your install looks really neat.  I have already made a template in cardboard and I was ready to start cutting up the Ali when I thought about Carbon.  Your template probably wouldn't work for my VX engined car.

To those asking about why the cambelt is exposed:  The installation I have, the fittings for the cambelt cover have been machined off, so covering the belt isn't an option.  I have a cambelt insert (like k-series one for sale a while back) that should protect the belts.  However I wanted to protect the dry sump and alternator belts as well.